matching color of lamps

Status
Not open for further replies.

panhandle444

When doing relamp reballast a lot of the time when I order a specific lamp ballast I get a "comparable equivalent". By a different manufacturer.

Sometimes the lamps match the ones in the existing fixtures other times they so not.

What information should Ibe looking for in ordering hid lamps? Would all manufacturer provide the same color if I ordered mp100/u/med.

Also would an 835 fluorescent be the same color weather a GE or Sylvania?

It looks like crap to me to see fixtures in the same area with different lamps

mgookin

Quote exact match and quote comparable and tell your customer you suggest exact match to avoid potential for mismatch color. Let them make the decision.

mirawho

Temperature

Temperature

When ordering lamps, always check the color temperature. Most lamps should have a listed temperature and some will have a CRI listed. The Metal Halide lamp that you referenced is a 4000 Kelvin light. It is just a matter of checking the color temperature and make sure they all match. You can look up existing lamps to find the temperature and look for lamps with the same temperature. If you don't know about color temperature, there is a lot of available info on the web. It will help you with deciding how to light areas on new installs and what temperature works best where.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
On the other hand, two lamps with the same color temperature but if one or both have a low CRI they can give a very different appearance against a colored surface.

Ragin Cajun

We had a relamping project in a school where all lamps and ballasts were replaced, fixtures cleaned, etc.

From the same batch of new lamps there was a discernible difference in the "color" of the lamps.

Fortunately, as the lamps "aged" for several weeks the differences faded away - mostly.

RC

mirawho

Fortunately, as the lamps "aged" for several weeks the differences faded away - mostly.

RC

I have noticed that the newer lamps aren't being burned in long enough any more. I imagine its the manufacturers saving money. We did a relamp at my office and it took about half an hour for the lamps to burn in all the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.