material prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

a-1 elec

anyone know whats going on with material prices? my local supplier quoted me 32.00 for a bundle of halfinch conduit! i laughed and went to big orange.

rich000

Re: material prices

Due to rising gas prices, many suppliers are raising prices of shipped goods. This price gets passed onto the consumer.

Expect cost of goods to keep increasing through the summer.

peter d

supply and demand. Contributing factors: improving U.S. economy, surging Chinese economy, strike by copper mine workers in Chile, unrest in Venezuela and Middle East....among many others.

tonyi

A sheet of 7/16 OSB was $18 at Orange last time I looked a couple of weeks ago, a year ago it was frequently on sale at Orange for around $7 with $8-9 being the everyday price.

One wonders if this housing boom can sustain with materiels prices like this...

I got 65 acres across the river from Albany NY I'm going to be developing in the next couple of years...slab/CBS is starting to look good even up north<g>

tonyi

Eliot Rd in East Greenbush - about 10 minutes from downtown Albany if you hit I90. EG seems to be the hot area on the east side of the river with the RPI tech park starting to catch on big time... I'm being told by agents the sweet spot in that area is in the $400K-$600K range - lots of demand but not much product available in that range. Probably need around 4 acre lots to keep the town happy about impacts. They've been turning down another guy on the other side of the road who wants to throw up "affordable" housing on 1/2 acre lots. Too much traffic, too much impact on the schools, water/sewer etc... [i.e the town doesn't want to spend any money having to do major repaving on Eliot road<g>]

dan55

We were at about .30 cents per ft. for 1/2 emt last checked, they say it will probably only get worse. Some supply houses can't even keep it in stock. I wonder if this is just a ploy to drive prices up for material similiar to what is going on with gas. They say there is a shortage of metal but who are "they".

getwyred

The cost of 1 inch emt has jumped 4 bucks in the past 3 weeks it's crazy, I heard it is because of the high demand for material in the rebuilding of Iraq

You may be able to buy the conduit at the big orange this week perhaps next week, but they too will adjust thier prices, I'm sure you have noticed wire has gone up about 55% since January...1/2 EMT conduit has gone from 10.85 per hundred to 32.40 per hundred. Now aren't I happy I started in January putting a 30 day effective pricing on all my quotes...I would hate to land a pipe & wire job price in January with today's pricings...talk about taking a bath in red ink.

charlie tuna

i used some two pc. 1 inch emt connectors off my truck and wanted to replace the stock. i ordered ten of them --- they were backordered --- thank goodnes!!! the price was $399.00 a hundred? can this be true?????????????? everything is going crazy in pricing.... or is just an excuse to raise prices????????????

cs409

manufacturer inventories where low when the economy turned,,,and was still low when it kicked the door in.......so,,,hopefully within a yr OR LESS,,,all will settle back down,,,company a will start to loose orders due to cost by company b and so the war on cheaper prices will show up,,,but i suspect about 10 to 15percent higher prices above what the price of goods where 8months or so ago.......my 2cents on the economy....until then,,,remember these words...material prices in the above bid are due to change daily!! good luck

william runkle

I don't know where it will end. Conduit up 3 times since the first of the year and wire doubled in one year. I look at it this way we will ride it out and survive or we will go under and a lot of company with us.

bert47

My job is electrical superintendent in a metals processing plant and I see metal pricing almost daily. Our suppliers of both steel and copper tell us that the main reason for the steep climb in pricing comes from China's sudden expansion boom and it's huge need for steel and other construction commodities. They are buying scrap and finished goods at rates never before seen. The source of much of the steel made in America and several other countries comes not from the old "coke and ore processes" but from melting of scrap steel (i.e. auto bodies etc.) They say that the scrap has been bought up by China and thus created a shortage here in the states. Forecasts are predicting higher prices into the forth quarter of this year before any hope of relief, and that is only a forecast. No guarantee how long.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Yesterday three of my suppliers (nation wide outfits) had 3/4" emt ranging from $62.00c to $70.00c :eek:

Roger

jemsvcs

Its the economy in China right now. They are sucking up every piece of steel they can find and naturally, capitalism prevails :p

peter d

Not that it's much consolation to us, but everyone in the world, including the Chinese, are paying high prices for metal products right now.

No one is getting ripped off, it's simply market forces at work.

One positive aspect of all this, is that it makes it extremely attractive and worthwhile to recycle every single ounce of srcap metal that we generate.

Status
Not open for further replies.