Max breaker height

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Pretty sure choice was made in post #1.

OP had already ran options past inspector, OP really just wanted to see if a possible code exception existed.
No exceptions exist. That leaves two options, raise floor or lower the breaker.

I don't see inspector objecting to raising the floor at least in post #1. I do see an inspector that wants 6-7 max (which is the rule) and not existing 6-8, and may or may not have given any thought to raising the floor as one possible way to comply.

Could be some other authority that brings up trip hazards. Trip hazards may or may not exist depending on how one goes about this.
Electrical inspector should only concern himself with meeting the required 6-7, if raising the floor without creating any other violations works there is no way he can reject it, and it possibly means less cost or less down time to raise the floor.

jumper

Is it possible to raise the floor 1" or more? Can you pour a square of concrete as a step so you are compliant?

That is what I suggested especially since I’m adding a 3 1/2 housekeeping pad 10 feet away however the city water department deemed my proposed pad as a trip hazard.

No exceptions exist. That leaves two options, raise floor or lower the breaker.

I don't see inspector objecting to raising the floor at least in post #1. I do see an inspector that wants 6-7 max (which is the rule) and not existing 6-8, and may or may not have given any thought to raising the floor as one possible way to comply.

Could be some other authority that brings up trip hazards. Trip hazards may or may not exist depending on how one goes about this.
Electrical inspector should only concern himself with meeting the required 6-7, if raising the floor without creating any other violations works there is no way he can reject it, and it possibly means less cost or less down time to raise the floor.

Jimminy Crickets!!! Raising the floor is not an option. Pay attention! The customer said “No.”

kwired

Electron manager
Jimminy Crickets!!! Raising the floor is not an option. Pay attention! The customer said “No.”
I guess I never saw any real reason why other then the concern for trip hazard, which can be taken into consideration when raising floor. But if not an option then he must lower the breaker or have inspector give a special blessing on this one, which special blessing seemed to be ruled out also.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Go to harbor freight I'm sure you can find a tape measure that's off by an inch!
Use a stick rule 6' place thumb bottom at the six foot then show him the rest of the inches placing the rule on top of thumb, your thumb is about 1" wide.

JFletcher

Unless the breaker can be moved down, given the limitations stated, the only other option I see is lowering the panel, and if it has a short nipple(s) right to the gutter below, then the gutter will have to be moved as well.

If putting a rubber mat down or small pad is a trip hazard, why couldnt the entire floor be raised 1"?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

350HP pump... is this a lift station for a forced main waste water line, or portable water? Either way, while the OP is moving all the equipment around, he will have to hook up a trailer mount pump or temporary electrical service to keep the water moving. Many pump stations here would have generators on site.

jumper

Unless the breaker can be moved down, given the limitations stated, the only other option I see is lowering the panel, and if it has a short nipple(s) right to the gutter below, then the gutter will have to be moved as well.

If putting a rubber mat down or small pad is a trip hazard, why couldnt the entire floor be raised 1"?

OP pretty much intended to lower the gear when he started the thread. Unless there some exception that be found here.

I believe he was kinda resigned to that, prolly wanted to vent a little. Don’t blame him, 1”. Damn. But then we do not know all the various aspects. Municipal projects can be a bear, inspector may not have any leeway. Who knows what all people are involved.

The project is a swap out in existing area, so raising the whole floor is really a non starter. Think of all the other stuff in the area.

The mat or plywood were both viable options, but OP had suggested them or similar to city and was told nope already so ‘twas a no go also.

Status
Not open for further replies.