Max receptacles per 20 amp circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minuteman

My text says in 220.14(I)
20A x 120V = 2400VA
2400VA / 180VA = 13 receptacles

But, if the receptacles are for convenience outlets and the load is unknown, does this calculation still apply?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
My text says in 220.14(I)
20A x 120V = 2400VA
2400VA / 180VA = 13 receptacles

But, if the receptacles are for convenience outlets and the load is unknown, does this calculation still apply?

If this is a commercial application the 180va applies to all receptacles unless the load is known.

cpal

I thought that, but it didnt seem right. So you can put all the outlets on one 15 amp circuit?

I thought the intent was to divide the 3 VA per sq ft by 1800 to determine the minimum number of gen ltg BC then evenly distribute the number of receptacles required by 210.52 amongst them a evenly as possible,

but I do not have a code book with me????

But agreeded there is no limit on the number of recepticals on a gen ltg BC.

yes no??

standard practice I like to do 5 per general convenience, 4 if serving computers, 1 concession stands, 2 for projectors. in residential i personnally dont like switched outlets or sharing lighting circuits with outlets and still stick to 5.
I think of my wife when laying out outlets because she will plug candle melters, christmas lights, and anything else into every outlet she finds.

Minuteman

Well, it did bring a rather interesting debate among my students tonight. As you may expect, some took the 13 receptacles route, while others sided with the unlimited crowd. (Of course, a few had no opinion, saying that they told to just follow the prints.). When it's left up to me, I tend to put about 8-10 convenience type receps together that may not get much use, and less on a circuit that I might expect more use.

rich000

I have an old navy habit where I place the lighting and receptacles on a different circuit. I also install a 20A ckt for receptacles (typically 10) for residential. This helps with vacuum cleaners, space heaters, blow dryers (they are not always used in bathrooms).

cpal

i personnally dont like switched outlets or sharing lighting circuits with outlets and still stick to 5.

I would suggest that segregating a dwelling circuit to all receptacles or all lights kinda kills the diversity of load theory.
that being said I have I'm not aware of a history of problems doinging it that way.

Last edited by a moderator:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The reason that you can have unlimited outlets on a residential general lighting circuit is to discourage the use of extension cords.
I would say, rather, that that is the reason that receptacle outlets are required to be no more than 12 feet apart from each other (i.e., to eliminate the need for extension cords). The reason you can have unlimited receptacles on a single circuit (in any type of facility, as I continue to maintain :) ) is that no code article establishes a limit.

N844AA

The reason you can have unlimited receptacles on a single circuit (in any type of facility, as I continue to maintain :) ) is that no code article establishes a limit.

I followed that link you posted, that's very interesting, certainly food for thought, I'm going to study that further. Thanks!

Minuteman

The reason you can have unlimited receptacles on a single circuit (in any type of facility, as I continue to maintain :) ) is that no code article establishes a limit.

I would also agree. Though I may limit the amount on my own accord. Which was my point in class. There are times that I agree with the text, and times is I don't. Either way, it brings up good debate in class. Which is better than a dull lecture.

Status
Not open for further replies.