May I ask a question about the single vs two phase stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

drktmplr12

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
:?Anybody else being blocked from viewing that thread?

Roger

drktmplr12, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
:eek:hmy:

Besoeker

The secondary windings. This type transformer is in a class know as multi-winding transformers.

They may be connected in series to produce two 120 volt outputs or in parallel to produce one 120 volt output at twice the kVA rating of a single 120 volt output.
Most likely one centre-tapped winding.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Yep, no go.

drktmplr12, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
:eek:hmy:

me too. wah.

No promises but let me see if I can find out anything.

Roger

Ingenieur

v1 = 100/0
v2 = 100/180

z1 = 10/0
z2 = 10/60

i1 = 10/0 = 10 + 0j
i2 = 10/120 = -5 + 8.67j

n = i1 + i2 = 5 + 8.67j = 10/60

are the i's of a single phase?

buffalonymann

The secondary windings. This type transformer is in a class know as multi-winding transformers.

They may be connected in series to produce two 120 volt outputs or in parallel to produce one 120 volt output at twice the kVA rating of a single 120 volt output.

I know what it is, typically used for control transformers - my comments regarding single phase transformers pertain to one coil that is centertapped

gar

Occupation
EE
180726-1339 EDT

buffalonymann:

You seem to imply by your statements that you know electrical circuit, and that others do not.

As I said before I think the reverse is the case. You probably have substantial knowledge of circuit theory, but from a narrow point of view.

Functionally a single secondary winding with a center tap is no different than two secondary coils connected together in series with proper phasing. Further I could wind a single secondary with a center tap that would not do what you expect.

buffalonymann

180726-1339 EDT

buffalonymann:

You seem to imply by your statements that you know electrical circuit, and that others do not.

As I said before I think the reverse is the case. You probably have substantial knowledge of circuit theory, but from a narrow point of view.

Functionally a single secondary winding with a center tap is no different than two secondary coils connected together in series with proper phasing. Further I could wind a single secondary with a center tap that would not do what you expect.

I know what happens in transformers and I know when others don't.

Let's put it this way, if the two secondary coils are wrapped around the same iron core, and no displacement of turns as compared to single coil, then it probably does function the same; my point is I know what occurs in a single coil.

Do you think I don't know about winding polarity? How do you suppose we figure out how to connect to a 12 lead three phase motor that has no markings on the leads?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
No promises but let me see if I can find out anything.

Roger

Ok, it was put in the vault due to a lot of bickering and insults being slung so that is where it will remain. With that being the case, let's keep this one from being closed or removed for the same reason.

Thanks

Roger

gar

Occupation
EE
180726-1607 EDT

buffalonymann:

Two secondary coils in series can produce a result that is the same as one continuously wound center tapped coil. This is rather obvious.

On the other hand, I can wind one continuous secondary coil with a center tap that when you measure the output voltage across the outer terminals of the coil the voltage will be near zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.