May I ask a question about the single vs two phase stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

jumper

it was a joke
the equation is nonsense :lol:

I never said it was a 2 phase power system
only that the sec is comprised of 2 waveforms seperated by 180 deg, hence comprised of 2 phases

I know that, I get it. :) I saw the equation was a joke.

I did not mean to imply you didn’t get this stuff. I was referring to the second sentence.

My rant was not against you, but against the people who cannot see that and still realize thati by conventional naming, we call that Single Phase.

It is merely the way we series the two secondary coils to achieve the desired signals and amplitudes of two 120 voltages and one 240 voltage out of a tranny.

We get the voltages we seek by modeling and creating them by the way we build the tranny.

Last edited:

SG-1

Fine, but is not very often done that way. You would end up with DC in each of the three phases which is not good and not actually permitted in some places.

If I were going to actually use the DC I would configure the rectifiers for two pulses per phase, for a six pulse system. We use 3-Phase rectifiers to generate our DC control voltage at work. A 3-Phase variac supplies the ac into a diode bridge, at 100V there is about 6V of ripple. Just enough to dimly illuminate the LED indicator lights.

Besoeker

Interesting.

Note both the caption at the bottom and the labels on the 6 secondary taps/coils.

What is the benefit of this arrangement over the more common approach of 6 diodes as 3 half bridges connected to a three phase wye?

-Jon
If you mean a full wave bridge such as gets used as the input bridge on a VFD*, only one diodes conducts at a time so lower losses. But my point was the document call it six phase yet it is three centre tapped coils of the arrangement that is being referred to as single phase.

*If you mean some other arrangement, can you provide a diagram, please.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Seems to me that the "two phase" camp is biased against negative numbers. If L1-N and L1-L2 are the same phase (multiple of 2), then if you believe in negative numbers, L1-N and L2-N are the same phase (multiple of -1).

Cheers, Wayne

Ingenieur

Seems to me that the "two phase" camp is biased against negative numbers. If L1-N and L1-L2 are the same phase (multiple of 2), then if you believe in negative numbers, L1-N and L2-N are the same phase (multiple of -1).

Cheers, Wayne

1/180 = -1 + 0j
180 deg and a non positive qty are the same thing in this case

1/120 = -0.5 + (sqrt3)/2 j

what is the diference?
other than the phase angle

Status
Not open for further replies.