MC and Cat5

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCCI

I have been asked to put MC and Cat5 cable in the same 3/4" conduit. This will be in a floor that has been cut out and will be poured back to add some floorboxs. Can anyone see a problem with this.

Thank You,
CCCI

allenwayne

Maybe 330.10 A 12 ??? Is within conduit in a slab impervious to moisture ??? I think not otherwise Nm would be allowed in the same situation.I`m sure there are other issues but I gotta run later guys.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Forget the conduit for a moment, what do you do with them at the floorbox? If the box and conduit are in the pour you would normally connect the conduit to the box KO. (Keep in mind that you cannot embed the MC or CAT5 in the concrete.) You could "sleeve" the MC but there would not be the required MC connector at the box. You could do a "transition" fitting at the other end and remove the armor for the portion in the conduit.

BUT if you do that how do you get the CAT5 into the conduit? Keep in mind also that the class 1 conductors and the LV have to be in separate sections of the box, The CAT5 cannot pass through the class 1 section nor can it be in the conduit with the MC conductors.

Unless I'm missing something with the box you are using the correct way to do this is with two conduit runs, one for the LV and the other for the class 1 to the separate box sections. Run individual THWN conductors to the box for the class 1. Put a box on the end of the conduit and splice to the MC out of the floor however appropriate.

-Hal

Last edited:

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Yes there is a problem, as pointed out. To do it correctly in your method will take longer and cost more.
You can use two runs of smurf tube. I don't like smurf tube in concrete as the connectors can leak.
PVC is better.

You would have to use pvc pipe in the concrete and use wire aproved for water, UF or a single wire with a W in the type wire to be aproved by a good inspector. But the problem lies with the low voltage wire not being rated for 600 volts. this would than require a second pipe and a ul listed and labled box seperater for low voltage or limited engery and line voltage. Plus who want the interference on the computer or phone line.

Status
Not open for further replies.