MC cable in light industrial building?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fastline

Occupation
Engineer
Not that there is any intent to make MC the primary raceway, but I am curious per code, what MC can be used for? I am more or less thinking of smaller pieces of equipment where EMT has been run to a Jbox, and it may be best to use something else for final connections. Most of this was typically just done with EMT but that is when no one even cared about the cost or time.

But MC has that serious issue of being pretty puny in terms of wire protection. I know we have used liquidtite for some of this just to make life easier. Open to ideas. Obviously grounding transfer has to be made.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I don't have a problem with it. People act like it matters what things look like but as far as I'm concerned it doesn't have to be pretty it just has to be functional and safe. And personally I don't find MC to be all that ugly.

garbo

Nothing wrong with MC cable. Most electricians prefer running EMT conduit . It is so much more versatile in that you can run several. circuits in a single conduit. Was taught many years ago to never use more them 6' of Liquidtite tight conduit even if a full we use copper ground wire is enclosed. For one thing I can run EMT conduit cheaper and heater then liquid tight. We seldom used 1/2" EMT due to 3/4" being maybe twice as strong and can fit wire large enough to feed a 50 amp circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.