MC cable in wet location

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
I'm not sure what the process is either. I was just thinking out loud. I would think that most of the process is computerized and that they don't have some poor soul from a 3rd world country hand lettering the wire. Unless there is a separate process whereby they add a new ingredient to the formula to make THHN/THWN-2 insulation I don't see any reason why they just can't type THWN-2 into the computer wire marking program before the wires get marked. Do you think that it would lead EC's to start burying MC just because the conductors are cross referenced as THWN-2 ? They can still specify that the MC (as a cable assembly in and of itself) is for dry locations only but I don't see a valid reason to mark the conductors as just THHN other than to have EC's carry more wire oin their trucks or to simply buy more wire. Just my 2 cents worth.

Whatever machine does the the marking still has a cost to operate, if making a batch of conductors that don't need to be marked why not leave this step out to reduce cost?

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Whatever machine does the the marking still has a cost to operate, if making a batch of conductors that don't need to be marked why not leave this step out to reduce cost?
I agree, if cross referencing to other insulation values turns out to be an extensive step. I wish there was a wire manufacturer on board the Forum to set us straight. Like I mentioned, if there is a different or specific ingredient in the wire insulation that makes THHN cross referenced with THWN-2 then so be it. I don't believe there is but I have no facts to back it up. I believe that when they fabricate the MC they obviously can't have any markings on the spiral jacket. So, to cover their butts, they imprint the ribbon so that it indicates THHN only and for dry installations (for that cable assembly). Otherwise, you know some smacker will probably bury it in the earth if it didn't and would impose some sort of liability issue on the manufacturer. IMHO, THWN-2 is 6 key strokes on the keyboard. Why not imprint it on the ribbon and let the EI make the final decision as to whether it's compliant or not. If 6 keystrokes is the cost factor they're looking to save God help us all.

I'm sorry but I get ticked off when I think about how absurd this is. On one hand you are permitted to run a 6/3 MC indoors for a hot tub (or generator in this case) and terminate it in an outdoor disconnect mounted on the outside wall of a house. Yet, if you happen to get 10 extra feet of that MC you can't strip the armor off and use the same conductors inside the seal-tight whip to the unit because they're either not marked or marked as THHN only. You have to now take a drive to the supply house and pick up that ready-made whip with the THWN conductors in it. Pure crap IMHO.

kwired

Electron manager
I agree, if cross referencing to other insulation values turns out to be an extensive step. I wish there was a wire manufacturer on board the Forum to set us straight. Like I mentioned, if there is a different or specific ingredient in the wire insulation that makes THHN cross referenced with THWN-2 then so be it. I don't believe there is but I have no facts to back it up. I believe that when they fabricate the MC they obviously can't have any markings on the spiral jacket. So, to cover their butts, they imprint the ribbon so that it indicates THHN only and for dry installations (for that cable assembly). Otherwise, you know some smacker will probably bury it in the earth if it didn't and would impose some sort of liability issue on the manufacturer. IMHO, THWN-2 is 6 key strokes on the keyboard. Why not imprint it on the ribbon and let the EI make the final decision as to whether it's compliant or not. If 6 keystrokes is the cost factor they're looking to save God help us all.

I'm sorry but I get ticked off when I think about how absurd this is. On one hand you are permitted to run a 6/3 MC indoors for a hot tub (or generator in this case) and terminate it in an outdoor disconnect mounted on the outside wall of a house. Yet, if you happen to get 10 extra feet of that MC you can't strip the armor off and use the same conductors inside the seal-tight whip to the unit because they're either not marked or marked as THHN only. You have to now take a drive to the supply house and pick up that ready-made whip with the THWN conductors in it. Pure crap IMHO.
Or buy the stuff electrofelon gets. For your small projects it may cost a little more, but maybe not too significantly more. Now buy several thousand feet that is not marked and maybe the cost difference is enough for consideration. - IDK for certain just making suggestions.

We must get the good stuff here in upstate ny. I've got some 12-2 and 14-2 mc made by encore and it say thhn or thwn printed right on the conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.