MC cable "redhead-less"

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Re: MC cable "redhead-less"

Originally posted by Jhr:
And if you are on a ladder having to climb down just to cut the mc seems slow to me, whip out the roto split or dykes and you are done,
Why would you get down?

I hold the MC in my left hand and hack saw it with my right, or use roto splits, or use dykes.

Whatever is handy. :cool:

peter d

I use rotosplits 99% of the time, but I use a hacksaw if necessary. The lightweight aluminum jacket MC cuts with about one and half strokes of the hacksaw.

I have yet to see a good, clean strip made using dikes. :(

wpaul29

Mike Holt addressed this issue here is the link.

http://www.mikeholt.com/mojonewsarchive/NEC-HTML/HTML/Use-of-Anti-Short-Bushings-for-Terminating-Type-MC-Cable~20050630.php

I pulled this off the Crouse Hinds Website

Anti-Short Bushings
Cooper Crouse-Hinds? Anti-Short Bushings(also called "Redheads")prevent damage to wire insulation when installed between the wire and armored sheath of Armored Cable(AC)or flexible metallic conduit. Constructed of thermoplastic material, the Anti-Short Bushings have a temperature rating of 90?C.

The National Electric Code? requires the use of an insulating bushing between the metal sheath and the conductors when installing Armored Cable.Insulated throat fittings are not an acceptable substitute for anti-short bushings.

I guess the question is what is the difference between Armored Cable and MC?
The NEC see's an obvious difference because they require the red heads for one but not the other.

I don't really recall using to much armored cable but then again would I be able to tell the difference between it or MC?

What do you all think is there a physical difference in the material other then what the code says? What are your experiences with the two?

Status
Not open for further replies.