MC connector

garbo

Those are 3/8" Greenfield (flex) connectors, not MC. Greenfield has standard dimensions for a given size allowing connectors like that to be made. MC diameters vary by size and manufacturer. I think you were just lucky to find a connector like that to fit the cable you had. But it's not listed as such.

-Hal
Thanks. Have 2 questions: If you use them say on 3/8" Greenfield does these decrease the # of wires allowed and it appears to be made of die cast material that is some what fragile. Does anyone manufacture them.in steel. As a rule I rather pay more for steel fittings then die cast.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Thanks. Have 2 questions: If you use them say on 3/8" Greenfield does these decrease the # of wires allowed and it appears to be made of die cast material that is some what fragile. Does anyone manufacture them.in steel. As a rule I rather pay more for steel fittings then die cast.
Yes for 3/8" FMC there is a reduction in the number of conductors when the connector goes inside of the raceway. See Table 348.22.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
The part #'s that I have for Bridgeport are # 118378 and 519-DC2.
Those are both 3/8" FMC connectors, not MC connectors. The last one:

Cheers, Wayne

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
Those are 3/8" Greenfield (flex) connectors, not MC. Greenfield has standard dimensions for a given size allowing connectors like that to be made. MC diameters vary by size and manufacturer. I think you were just lucky to find a connector like that to fit the cable you had. But it's not listed as such.

-Hal
Looks like I got lucky. Those things work great when fishing MC down the wall and using them on deeper device boxes.

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
Those are both 3/8" FMC connectors, not MC connectors. The last one:

Cheers, Wayne
I think they need to get listed for MC. They work great and it's impossible for the conductors to short on the sharp edges of the metal sheath. Thanks for clarifying the listing.

garbo

Looks like I got lucky. Those things work great when fishing MC down the wall and using them on deeper device boxes.
If it was not listed and you did not have approval from the AHJ would never want the possible liability issue down the road. Had artist that wanted me to install home made luminares but told them they would have to have them spend a lot of money to have them inspected , hopefully meggered with at least 500 volts and sign a form from my lawyer releasing me from any & all liability issues. One saved money by having the carpenter run wire, hang boxes and wire in thier hone made luminares.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Whether rated for MC or not, I used one of these when I had to re-hang a wall-pack light. You can see why the light fell by comparing the original hardware to what I used.

In the last pic, you can see the red bushing behind the old tape. There was zero slack in the cable. The black wire was broken, so I connected both drivers to the red wire.

1721320962788.jpeg IMG_1255 (2).JPG Anchors.JPG

Wallpack.JPG MCcable.JPG

falconewk

Occupation
Owner, Residential Journeyman
IMG_7652.jpeg

I really like this type of old work MC connector when I am fishing in MC to a box, you can pull the MC into the box, snap on the connector and then push the MC back into the wall until the connector snaps into place