MCC as direct means for disconnecting a motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob m

I have a MCC with multiple buckets, where I am using the MCC disconnects as means to disconnecting motors without the use of remote disconnects. All of the motors are located within site 30' max. distance. Does this comply with NEC? I think that it does, but the contractor insists that every motor needs a remote disconnect!

[ March 04, 2003, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: bob m ]

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Re: MCC as direct means for disconnecting a motor

250.102(A) Disconnect must be with in sight of the motor controller.
250.102(B) Disconnect must be with in sight of the motor.
Substantial change from 1999 NEC to 2002 NEC is requirement for disconnect within sight of motor.
Often one disconnect can be used for both requirements.
It appears from you description that you comply with the NEC. Ask your contractor for the section that you are in violation of.

Len_B

Re: MCC as direct means for disconnecting a motor

Under 600v the controller diconnecting means must be within sight(and less than 50 ft per definitions) of the motor controller per 430.102(A). The controller is not required to be in sight from the motor.
The controller disconnecting means shall also be permitted as the motor disconnecting means 430.102(B)

The motor disconnecting means shall be "in sight" of the motor. See exceptions under 430.102(B) that would allow motor disconnecting means to be out of sight of he motor. (a)...impracticle, additional hazards... (b)...industrial...

Either of these exceptions, if applicable, would allow one lockable disconnect to serve as both controller and motor disconnect while not in sight of the motor.

Suggest to your contractor to read 430.102 more thoroughly.

Len

Status
Not open for further replies.