Medicine Cabinet Recpetacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

resistance

Would switching a mirror medicine cabinet receptacle outlet be an exception to
210.8--Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection for Personnel.
Which--in part-states:
All Bathrooms having 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere receptacles installed in the locations specified in (1) through (8) shall have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel.

I notice a new construction home with a Mirror Medicine cabinet, that had a manufactured single receptacle installed on the outside. This is the only receptacle in the bathroom--which was switched with the mirror lights. Was this accepted in older installs?

480sparky

Neither Have I! Wondering if code allows this?

It would probably be legal today if it was GFCI protected. But back in the 40s and 50s, such installs were common. The recep was on a general-purpose circuit because 6-billiion-watt hairdiryers had yet to be invented.

resistance

Interesting! They are using the switch as a disconnect, with no GFI before the load. I guess they figure the person being hit by power will fall back, and hit their head on the switch--disconnecting them from power. :roll::D

480sparky

Interesting! They are using the switch as a disconnect, with no GFI before the load. I guess they figure the person being hit by power will fall back, and hit their head on the switch--disconnecting them from power. :roll::D

Most were pre-GFI era. GFI's haven't been around forever.

iMuse97

I don't favor these type of installs, especially if the receptacle is one of those cheap ones that I would never trust with those "6 billion watt hair dryers."

Regardless, I'm sure I'd want it GFCI protected (1) in order to meet code, and (2) for my peace of mind at night.

TOOL_5150

It would probably be legal today if it was GFCI protected. But back in the 40s and 50s, such installs were common. The recep was on a general-purpose circuit because 6-billiion-watt hairdiryers had yet to be invented.

do those hair dryers use twist lock or pin and sleeve type plugs / receptacles? :D

~Matt

iMuse97

Speaking on your last: I believe you have the wrong note in quotes.

I tend to agree!

Yes, please consider that what I say may not be what I mean to say, and if I'm quoting (INCORRECTLY) what another says, in order to illustrate what I'm about to say, I may not, then, actually say anything close to what I meant, or anything at all.

mthead

Medicine Cabinet Receptacle

Medicine Cabinet Receptacle

If I am reading this correctly the setup we are talking about here involves a new installation.
The easy back door answer to this question probably lies in the "listing"/specs/installation info that should be with this medicine cabinet/electrical device combo unit.
If its a legit unit that has been ul tested and approved info would be available to tell you of the ratings and specific installation and use instructions.
If you cannot get that info [and the person who supplied the cabinet/fixture cannot get it to you] and this will be the only bthrm recpt then installing a fire extinguisher next to it and the blow dryer wouldn't be a bad idea-because odds are the house will burn down long before the first time your wife throws the blow dryer into the tub at you.!

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Yes, the cabinet receptacle must be GFCi protected, and the 20a rule probably still requires a wall outlet, unless this bathroom is on a 20a circuit by itself, and the receptacle is wired with #12.

resistance

Yes, please consider that what I say may not be what I mean to say, and if I'm quoting (INCORRECTLY) what another says, in order to illustrate what I'm about to say, I may not, then, actually say anything close to what I meant, or anything at all.
Well that was a hand-full.......................................................

of nothing!
;):grin:

I am not sure that this install will lead to burning the house down. I had a medicine cabinet receptacle that was installed for more than fifty years, and the building is still standing.

If this is an existing installation just leave it alone. If this is a new installation, ALL dwelling unit bathroom receptacles are required to be installed with GFCI protection, there are no exceptions.

forman400b

Occupation
Master Electrician. NYC, Westchester, New Jersey
Look at # 3 below from 210.52. This would not allow this installation.

210.52 Dwelling Unit Receptacle Outlets.
This section provides requirements for 125-volt, 15- and 20-ampere receptacle outlets. The receptacles required by this section shall be in addition to any receptacle that is:
(1) Part of a luminaire or appliance, or
(2) Controlled by a wall switch in accordance with 210.70(A)(1), Exception No. 1, or
(3) Located within cabinets or cupboards, or
(4) Located more than 1.7 m (5? ft) above the floor

Edit to add: This would not allow this installation to be the lone receptacle required.

Last edited:

iMuse97

Look at # 3 below from 210.52. This would not allow this installation.

210.52 Dwelling Unit Receptacle Outlets.
This section provides requirements for 125-volt, 15- and 20-ampere receptacle outlets. The receptacles required by this section shall be in addition to any receptacle that is:
(1) Part of a luminaire or appliance, or
(2) Controlled by a wall switch in accordance with 210.70(A)(1), Exception No. 1, or
(3) Located within cabinets or cupboards, or
(4) Located more than 1.7 m (5? ft) above the floor

Edit to add: This would not allow this installation to be the lone receptacle required.

I think #3 is referring specifically to receptacles inside of the cabinet or cupboard, and this one is outside the cabinet, as I understand it, but I see #2 would require another recept. to be installed. According to OP, the recept. is switched on with the light and that is not permitted. I've never noticed this before, but that's probably because I've disconnected these when I get the chance, and install a GFCI in the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.