Megger/Gfci

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robertrzrturbo

Its my first time doing a megger test for a residential fire repair job in a mobile home in las vegas, nv.
For my final inspection I am required to do a megger test. Do I need to remove the gfci for my test or do I do my test with the gfci installed?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Its my first time doing a megger test for a residential fire repair job in a mobile home in las vegas, nv.
For my final inspection I am required to do a megger test. Do I need to remove the gfci for my test or do I do my test with the gfci installed?

Since the GFCI circuitry is powered from the source of the circuit it is protecting, I would treat it like any other Line to Neutral load and remove it before applying the high megger voltage to the wiring.

kwired

Electron manager
Because the potential damage to the GFCI, this can't be a part of a final inspection, such test needs done before installing the devices.

You should be able to do a line to ground test and a neutral to ground test just not a line to neutral test with the GFCI connected. Any failed test could result in undesired test volts across the GFCI though, make sure that any supply side neutral -ground bond isn't present before such testing (disconnect the neutral of circuit being tested at the panel so you have no back feed through the main bonding jumper)

Status
Not open for further replies.