megger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Want to buy a megger. Mostly to use on megging wires . All wire sizes and mostly 277/480v and 110/208v . Not looking to break the bank. Looking at Extech. Which would you recomend?

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
You want to do PM checks and record accurate readings or just connect a high test voltage for a relatively simple go/no-go test?

I have a relatively inexpensive analog megohmmeter that works great for the simple go/no-go testing. I don't know that it is a good tool for extensive PM program but I don't have too much need for that.

You don't really even care what the actual reading is with this thing. If all you want is to know is if there is an insulation problem and are sure you have isolated what you are testing from other paths - hit test button - if the needle moves very far at all you have an insulation problem. With a regular DMM, if you get a reading in the meg range you don't really know for sure what you have, high test voltage removes almost all doubt.

Article 90.1

I bought a 1587 and have used it very infrequently, but I haven;t needed it. When using the meg. leads it has ben kind of a pain to hold the lead to whatever I'm testing for any length of time. What do you 1587'ers do, do you have a lead with an alligator clip and the test button or something else. does my question even make sense?

Thanks!

jeremysterling

Want to buy a megger. Mostly to use on megging wires . All wire sizes and mostly 277/480v and 110/208v . Not looking to break the bank. Looking at Extech. Which would you recomend?

I bought the Extech megger at Fry's and I like it. I use it approx monthly. Last use was for four each 500' 400 amp feeders (parallel 3/0). I do heavy commercial and light industrial. I don't use a megger often enough for me to pony up the money for the fluke. Since this is my personal meter, and I use it infrequently, the Extech was a good choice for me.

kbsparky

You could get a cheap Chinese one for about $50 on ebaY by clicking here.

Before you all start knocking it, I did get one earlier this year, and it works just great.

Attachments

• megger.JPG
    megger.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 0

kwired

Electron manager
You could get a cheap Chinese one for about $50 on ebaY by clicking here.

Before you all start knocking it, I did get one earlier this year, and it works just great.

I won't knock it. Here is what I use.

product_irt3.jpg

Nothing fancy or expensive but gets the job done.

Like I said earlier all I ever use it for is insulation go / no go tests, not for predictive maintenance. Being an analog meter you really don't have to read and interpret the thing either. If the needle bounces a little, insulation is good. If it runs full or most of full scale, you have an insulation problem.

kbsparky

I prefer to use the alligator clips on test leads these days. I even robbed those leads out of my Chinese insulation tester for use in my Fluke 112 meter for certain testing procedures..... :blink:

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I've got 3 meggers off eBay at a great price.

One AVO (the real Megger), a pristine Sanwa from the 70's (Sanwa was Japan's top line of test equipment back then) and a brand new Chinese crank style 1000 volt tester just to have as a conversation piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.