Meggering a xfmr that has sat idle

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
You are going to have to complete your sentence. I do not know if you are asking how to do it, or whether to do it, or when to do it, or what results you should be getting when you do it, or how to tell that it?s time to do it, or whether any of us have done it.

I have a 167 kva trans . that has sat for a year.... how do I megger and interpert the results?

brian john

Single phase, 3 phase, delta/wye?

What are the primary to secondary voltages?

Short simple answer is, primary to ground, primary to secondary, with the secondary ground to neutral bond lifted secondary to ground.

micromind

Since it's a 167, it's likely single phase. 3 of these makes a 500KVA bank.

What kind of a megger do you have? Some of the less expensive digital units may not be able to 'fill up the core' on a xfmr this size. A hand-crank one will though.

Has this xfmr ever been energized? If so, and it is oil filled, you'll likely be ok. If it's a dry-pack, you might need to burn the moisture out of it to get it to pass. In northern Nevada you wouldn't, humidity runs in the single digits frequently). If it's never been energized, there are other tests that would be useful. A 167 can make a pretty big bang.

mdshunk

The procedure is...

brian john said:
... primary to ground, primary to secondary, with the secondary ground to neutral bond lifted secondary to ground.

:grin:

(I can't tell you how many people will check a transformer secondary to secondary, or primary to primary and think they've got a major issue on their hands. That's a useless measurement. You're meggerring the same piece of wire when you do that!)

zog

"I can't tell you how many people will check a transformer secondary to secondary, or primary to primary and think they've got a major issue on their hands. That's a useless measurement. You're meggerring the same piece of wire when you do that"

Right, but you do want to do a winding resistance test.

masterelect1

1808921 said:
I have a 167 kva trans . that has sat for a year.... how do I megger and interpert the results?

Attach one of the 2 megger leads to ground and check resistance of each connection (primary and secondary with the other lead) for resistance- should be infinity.

Now use the megger or VOM on the ohms scale from point to point on each side (primary and secondary) and the result should be balanced on each side, i.e. primary reading should be the same and the secondary reading should be the same but will be not alike from primary to secondary

Status
Not open for further replies.