Megging after rough in

Siemens plug on nuetral but not the pigtail breakers
Pretty sure it won't. Not unless it is a combined AFCI GFCI. Might vary by brand and model.
Right the ones where the neutral doesn't land on the breaker no, but if the neutral goes through the breaker, a N-G will trip it. (Forgot about the no neutral ones, only come across those a couple times).

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Pretty sure it won't. Not unless it is a combined AFCI GFCI. Might vary by brand and model.
The combined AFCI GFCI are best referred to by their proper name Dual Function because the second generation of AFCI is properly known as a Combination breaker because it is supposed to be able to protect against parallel and series arcs.

Originally every manufacturer's straight AFCI breaker had ground fault protection in them at 30mA and all of them would trip on a neutral to ground fault. One of my troubleshooting steps when tracking down AFCI breaker problems was to swap the breaker with a straight GFCI breaker to eliminate wiring errors as a problem.

As Lil Bill mentioned two brands have the ground fault protection stripped out of them. That's ironic because the only addition to safety AFCI breakers ever added to a house was the ground fault portion.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The time it takes to test the circuits is, imo not worth it. When we used to use 1000' reels we ohmed it out before we pulled it. Probably not a bad idea but the only issues I had from the factory were very visible. I have installed many miles of nm cable and I have never had an issue with my wiring unless the siders put a 16 penny sized nail thru it.

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
The time it takes to test the circuits is, imo not worth it. When we used to use 1000' reels we ohmed it out before we pulled it. Probably not a bad idea but the only issues I had from the factory were very visible. I have installed many miles of nm cable and I have never had an issue with my wiring unless the siders put a 16 penny sized nail thru it.
The long nails used for foam popouts on the front of houses..
Ive also had the long lathe staples hit 'em too..

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Right the ones where the neutral doesn't land on the breaker no, but if the neutral goes through the breaker, a N-G will trip it.
I don't believe that "having a neutral terminal on the breaker" = "performs some GF detection and will trip on a N-G fault". I recall one brand of single pole AFCIs advertising that you can use them on an MWBC, and just to land the neutral on one of the two units, doesn't matter which.

Cheers, Wayne

I don't believe that "having a neutral terminal on the breaker" = "performs some GF detection and will trip on a N-G fault". I recall one brand of single pole AFCIs advertising that you can use them on an MWBC, and just to land the neutral on one of the two units, doesn't matter which.

Cheers, Wayne
Fair enough. Perhaps I don't use those types or brands that have that (lack of) functionality. All I know is for me, a N-G fault pretty much always trips an AFCI breaker immediately.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
So, what voltage are you going to megger at? Are you meggering before device installation, because most devices top out at 250 volts, and I don't know if meggering at that level tells you anything.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
I test the integrity of the wireing old coin test style. Take a good bite and make sure it's real good like checking gold coins for softness. If it tastes like romex and looks like romex then it better be. If it's not gritty enough then it needs more integrity

JoeNorm

testing after rough-in to me seems a little pointless because it's everyone after me who might cause a problem.