Melted Automatic Transfer Switch - PV Tap on Generator Feed

citrixtrainer

Occupation
Systems Engineer
Hello everyone. I just wanted to share a scenario that I came across yesterday. After a routine failover test of a 22kW Generac generator failed, I popped-off the transfer switch cover and found the recent PV installer tapped the generator feed for the PV system. Unless I'm totally missing something, the tap should be at the utility feed.

Am I missing something here, or is this simply an incorrect install?

Note: I'm the homeowner, but not a novice when it comes to electrical systems. I was a licensed merchant marine engineer, so I'm familiar with systems up to 440V 3-phase.

Image of Melted Transfer Switch

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Hello everyone. I just wanted to share a scenario that I came across yesterday. After a routine failover test of a 22kW Generac generator failed, I popped-off the transfer switch cover and found the recent PV installer tapped the generator feed for the PV system. Unless I'm totally missing something, the tap should be at the utility feed.

Am I missing something here, or is this simply an incorrect install?

Note: I'm the homeowner, but not a novice when it comes to electrical systems. I was a licensed merchant marine engineer, so I'm familiar with systems up to 440V 3-phase.

Image of Melted Transfer Switch
Irrespective of the cause of the damage, a line side interconnected grid tied PV system should only ever be connected on the utility side of the ATS, never the generator side.

citrixtrainer

Occupation
Systems Engineer
Question. Was the solar install done with a permit and inspection?
Yep! The county failed the first inspection due to the plans not matching the layout of the panels "as built". I have no idea if the county inspector even looked at the ATS tap. The permits are now approved. The only thing left is the interconnection with Duke.

citrixtrainer

Occupation
Systems Engineer
**UPDATE** I contacted the solar contractor and sent them the marked-up picture. They agree that the installation is jacked-up. They have promised to fix everything, including the ATS. My guess is they want to get the issue corrected before the utility inspector comes out and finds a fried system.

citrixtrainer

Occupation
Systems Engineer
Roger that. With the switch being toast I cannot easily check it under load yet, but I should be able to see if proper voltage is present on the generator feed.

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
My generator (not a Generac) has a 120 volt receptacle on it, if this one does, you could plug in a heater or a hair dryer when you check the voltage output.