Memorial Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohmhead

Thanks to all my fellow Veterans here! And to those that gave their all for us, you are not forgotten!! I hope everyone has a safe and blessed weekend!!:)

Well we all get a day off from work but its a lot more than just that day off to a veteran here we wish you well also have a good memorial day lets just be glad were here today !:D

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Hey, that's me! (USAF) The same wishes to all our bretheren, wherever in the world they may be.

jumper

For the fallen, may we always remember your sacrifice and valor:

Memorial Day was officially proclaimed on 5 May 1868 by General John Logan, national commander of the Grand Army of the Republic, in his General Order No. 11, and was first observed on 30 May 1868, when flowers were placed on the graves of Union and Confederate soldiers at Arlington National Cemetery.

"...gather around their sacred remains and garland the passionless mounds above them with choicest flowers of springtime....let us in this solemn presence renew our pledges to aid and assist those whom they have left among us as sacred charges upon the Nation's gratitude,--the soldier's and sailor's widow and orphan." --General John Logan, General Order No. 11, 5 May 1868

250px-Graves_at_Arlington_on_Memori.jpg

In Flanders Fields
John McCrae, 1915.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

In 1915, inspired by the poem "In Flanders Fields," Moina Michael replied with her own poem:

We cherish too, the Poppy red
That grows on fields where valor led,
It seems to signal to the skies
That blood of heroes never dies.

220px-Tomb_of_the_Unknowns.jpg

The preceding information was copied from a variety of sources.

jumper

Thanks to all my fellow Veterans here! And to those that gave their all for us, you are not forgotten!! I hope everyone has a safe and blessed weekend!!:)

Well we all get a day off from work but its a lot more than just that day off to a veteran here we wish you well also have a good memorial day lets just be glad were here today !:D

Hey, that's me! (USAF) The same wishes to all our bretheren, wherever in the world they may be.

Gentlemen, your service to the country was a great sacrifice, and is greatly appreciated, yet I must state that this holiday/memorial is for those that never returned. You are honored on a different day:

"The 11th Hour of the 11th Day of the 11th Month

When the fighting came to an end with the Armistice of November 11, 1918, more than eight million soldiers, including more than 50,000 Americans, had lost their lives. An estimated 12-million civilians also perished. During the Great War, German's losses were over 1,700,000 killed and over 4,200,000 wounded [out of a total population of over 65 million], while France suffered over 1,300,000 deaths and over 4,200,000 wounded. The percentages of pre-war population killed or wounded were 9% of Germany, 11% of France, and 8% of Great Britain. The United States suffered one-third of one percent (0.37%) of its population killed or wounded. An estimated total of 12-million civilians perished. The war ended without clear solutions, leaving future military and political leaders to grapple with a host of strategic, tactical and technological dilemmas."

See also: http://www1.va.gov/opa/vetsday/vetdayhistory.asp

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Home of the free, because of the brave, can never be overstated!

Rockyd

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Gentlemen, your service to the country was a great sacrifice, and is greatly appreciated, yet I must state that this holiday/memorial is for those that never returned.
Oops. My bad, and thank you for the correction.

At 3:eek:o pm ( est) there will be a moment of national prayer as "taps" will be played many places in remembrance of our fallen hereos!
So duly noted and observed.

mbeatty

Thank you. I wish the same for all of my fellow veterans.
Mark Beatty
CW03 USN (Retired)

zog

Gentlemen, your service to the country was a great sacrifice, and is greatly appreciated, yet I must state that this holiday/memorial is for those that never returned. You are honored on a different day:

I agree, as a vet myself I always mention that to friends that ask how I spent "my day". And not just fallen military, I think we shoudl also remmember the victims of 9/11, civilians at Pearl Harbor, etc.....Lets not forget them too.

Memorial day is a day for all Americans to think about what the cost of freedom is and honor those who paid the ultimate price in the name of freedom, weather they volunteered or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.