Metal clad 2 wire 18/22 ga cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone here seen something that looks like a 2 wire belden cable but is encased in what looks like a choke cable off a lawn mower? Whats the story behind it? Is it some sort of old school shielded cable? I almost killed myself today when a piece of this was bundled in with insulated wires in the cabinet of an old machine touched an old fuse block.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
You inadvertently got it right. Only time I ever saw that cable was in old school buildings for the 25v intercom/PA systems. Probably did find it's way into other uses though.

-Hal

MTW

Armored Cable

Armored Cable

Has anyone here seen something that looks like a 2 wire belden cable but is encased in what looks like a choke cable off a lawn mower?

Is this what your talking about?

0.25 ArmoredCable.jpg

What type of machine was it on?
It's good practice, to de-energize a unfamiliar machine, when working in the panel.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Could be type AC thermostat cable. If I remember correctly in NYC a few decades ago you couldn't run simple jacketed cables thermostat so you used AC cable. I had a roll of it sitting on my shelf for years and yes it was nearly impossible to remove the jacket.

Is this what your talking about?

View attachment 21807

What type of machine was it on?
It's good practice, to de-energize a unfamiliar machine, when working in the panel.
No. It’s smaller than that. Didn’t have any nice bushings or terminations like that either. It’s about as big in diameter as a #10 then maybe.

Yes. It’s an old machine and there was actually a fuse block for something else in the cabinet that is didn’t realize wasn’t deenergized and failed to check. 100% negligence on me for that. Hard lesson learned. I got locked onto 277v briefly. Terrifying and humbling. I’m lucky to have walked away with a couple minor burns.

nickelec

I've seen stuff like that used by alarm guys, for sensors some times in garages to for door sensors

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.