Metal FS box

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Although it may not be 100% correct I always thought that FS boxes were cast boxes. They can be cast out of steel, aluminum, or PVC. The box that Goldstar posted in the picture happens to be cast aluminum which is still an FS box.

Eaton calls these cast aluminum boxes FS boxes: https://rexel-cdn.com/Products/EatonWiringDevices/1115-SP.pdf?i=9EAD8F5C-2444-4246-99F7-413C40DC9202
Carlon calls these PVC boxes FS boxes:https://carlonsales.com/techinfo/brochures/conduit/FS_Boxes_Conduit_and_Accessories_Brochure.pdf

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
.....thought for sure Jersey would call them Hero's 😎
Or subs short for submarine sandwiches. Our most famous sandwich joint in New Jersey is Jersey Mikes Subs.
logo.png

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
That's a bell box in Massachesetts..........I think!!

I am in western MA. I was looking for old work box supports, everyone around here calls them "Jiffy Straps". I was doing a job in the Boston area and I asked for Jiffys and they didn't have a clue. They call them "Madison Clamps" in Boston

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Bell box is common too. Bell was a brand of box from mid 20th century and beyond now they're part of Hubell. The name is still used to describe these boxes.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
We always called them Bell Box or T Box

but a while back, counterman at SH house did not seem familiar with either term (not a rookie) so I explained "weatherproof receptacle box"

And now I ask him for "WPB123"

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

sparky1118

Occupation
Master Electrician
Where I live an FS box is a plastic weather proof box and what you are showing some people call it a bell box and others just ask for a single gang weather proof box. I used to work at a supply house when I was in high school and those are the names they used by every EC that came in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
I ave heard them all, but I personally use "weatherproof" preceded with metal or plastic.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I think it depends on how close to Phillie you are. Phillie calls them Grinders. Here in NY we call them Subs or Wedges

-Hal
That made me hungry.
Back when I lived in philly 25 years ago they had the best Hoagies. We have subs on the west coast but nothing like those thin sliced meats on the hoagie.
And yeah thats a bell box.

Status
Not open for further replies.