Metal Halide and Merc Vapor Compatability

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark32

Had a disagreement with a co-worker yesterday. Through research I have found that mercury vapor bulbs can be used in metal halide fixtures but a metal halide bulb cannot be used in a mercury vapor fixture. Co-worker says that's hog wash and knows a number of electricians that use MH bulbs in a MV fixture with supposedly good results. Who's right here?

steelersman

Had a disagreement with a co-worker yesterday. Through research I have found that mercury vapor bulbs can be used in metal halide fixtures but a metal halide bulb cannot be used in a mercury vapor fixture. Co-worker says that's hog wash and knows a number of electricians that use MH bulbs in a MV fixture with supposedly good results. Who's right here?
I don't know the answer to that one, but have often wondered if they were compatible with one another. I'm sure you'll get plenty of answers here in a couple of minutes.

quogueelectric

If my memory serves me correct I believe one needs a starter (hv pulse) and one doesnt. I think that you are correct as to which is which. I believe that the more modern lamps are Multi Vapor and this may be why these lamps start in both fixtures.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
If my memory serves me correct I believe one needs a starter (hv pulse) and one doesnt. I think that you are correct as to which is which. I believe that the more modern lamps are Multi Vapor and this may be why these lamps start in both fixtures.

Yes and no. All MH lamps 150W and under need a (relatively) high voltage starting pulse. MV does not. So you can put a MV lamp into a MH fixture (why you would want to, I don't know...) but if you put a <150W MH lamp into an older MV fixture, the ballast system will not have that pulse start and will fail to strike the initial arc necessary for the MH lamp. In the past, MH lamps over 150W had a different starting system and could possibly work without the pulse, but in recent years the lamp mfrs have determined that pulse start works better for all sizes and have been shifting that way. So it may have been true that in the past if you were replacing a 400W MV lamp with a 400W MH lamp it would work, but depending on the lamp that may no longer be true.

The "multi vapor" lamps that GE is selling are meant as universal donors with HPS, not MV, but mainly it is just a "marketing term" for GE's latest and greatest MH improvement. They can be used in virtually any burning position and fixture design, but it is definitely a pulse start lamp, so it ill NOT work in MV fixtures..

480sparky

From Advance Transformers Troubleshooting guide to HID:

HIDopencircuitvoltages.jpg

Interchangeable can be done between the MV and MH { probe start only } but in warm and hot day it will have no issue to get it lit up but in cold days that where it show up.

The probe start MH will not start with MV gear in there due the OCV and running voltage in the system.

However with instering twist yeah you can stick in MV bulb in Probe start MH gear and have no side effect exept you know how bright those MV bulb dish out no diffrence at all.

From my past experince that useally a #1 curpit for me in cold area and also there are some lumianire that they are not approved to use the MH bulb for safety reason. { this is true on <250 w unless it have open bottom rated bulb }

Merci,Marc

Status
Not open for further replies.