Metal sheet Screw for mounting receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

sureshbkhanal

Occupation
Inspector
Does code allow you to use metal sheet screws for mounting receptacles ? What is the section of the code in NEC 2014 book? I look forward to hearing from you.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
406.5 Receptacle Mounting.Receptacles shall be mounted in identified boxes or assemblies. The boxes or assemblies shall be securely fastened in place unless otherwise permittedelsewhere in thisCode. Screws used for the purpose of attach-ing receptacles to a box shall be of the type provided with alisted receptacle, or shall be machine screws having 32 threadsper inch or part of listed assemblies or systems, in accordancewith the manufacturer’s instructions.(A) Boxes That Are Set Back.Receptacles mou

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
But are you referring to attaching the receptacle yoke to the box? 406.5 requires a machine screw (2020). This rule was added in 2014 or 2017.
The restriction for screws was for termination of the EGC in 250.8. Since a drywall screw is not a sheet metal screw, that rule didnt' last very long.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
So what do you do when the machine screw threads strip out of a box in the wall ?

JAP>

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Next size up on machine screw usually works, without violating 406.5. A sheetrock screw can have exceptionally sharp edges that will travel offcourse while inserting into box, greater likelyhood of damage to wiring if it does run out. Also the bugle head can also be sharp and I've seen wire damage because someone used it to mount a box.

rnatalie

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Next size up on machine screw usually works, without violating 406.5. A sheetrock screw can have exceptionally sharp edges that will travel offcourse while inserting into box, greater likelyhood of damage to wiring if it does run out. Also the bugle head can also be sharp and I've seen wire damage because someone used it to mount a box.
Further, even a fine-thread sheetrock screw has threads too course to be effective on something as thin as box mounting ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.