Metal underwater pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I am using metal underground water pipe that qualifies as electrode 250.52(A)(1). I have supplemented the electrode with ground electrode mentioned in 250.52 at point mentioned in 250.68(C)(1) within five feet of the metal underground water pipe entrance. After all that is their still a requirement for the metal underground water pipe to be electrically continuous?

Last edited:

JFletcher

What code cycle are you on? The 08 NEC does not have a 250.68 (C)(1). There has to be a bonding jumper at the water meter.

if you have driven one ground rod, its resistance must be measured at less than 25 ohms, or a second rod is required... see 250.56.

Do ground rods now have to be driven within 5 ft of the water pipe? I thought the five foot rule was for attaching the GEC to the metal water pipe within 5 ft of where it emerges from grade.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
What code cycle are you on? The 08 NEC does not have a 250.68 (C)(1). There has to be a bonding jumper at the water meter.

if you have driven one ground rod, its resistance must be measured at less than 25 ohms, or a second rod is required... see 250.56.

Do ground rods now have to be driven within 5 ft of the water pipe? I thought the five foot rule was for attaching the GEC to the metal water pipe within 5 ft of where it emerges from grade.
Cycle is 2014.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I am using metal underground water pipe that qualifies as electrode 250.52(A)(1). I have supplemented the electrode with ground electrode mentioned in 250.52 at point mentioned in 250.68(C)(1) within five feet of the metal underground water pipe entrance. After all that is their still a requirement for the metal underground water pipe to be electrically continuous?

The buried metal pipe only needs to be 10' long to qualify as an electrode. What do you mean by electrically continuous?

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Nec 2014 article 250.53 says 250.53(D)(1) and 250.53(D)(2) needs to be satisfied.
250.53(D)(2) is satisfied by exception stated. 250.53(D)(1) is the contunity part and thats what I meant. I think I found the answer but not sure. Am I correct both 250.53(D)(1) and 250.53(D)(2) needs to be satisfied?

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Nec 2014 article 250.53 says 250.53(D)(1) and 250.53(D)(2) needs to be satisfied.
250.53(D)(2) is satisfied by exception stated. 250.53(D)(1) is the contunity part and thats what I meant. I think I found the answer but not sure. Am I correct both 250.53(D)(1) and 250.53(D)(2) needs to be satisfied?
250.53(D)(1) is stating that if you have something that is insulating or intended to be separable in the grounding electrode conductor path (comprised of the allowed water piping as the path) you must bond around that insulating or separable section. Examples that are common might be water meters or filtering devices. A bonding jumper around a meter or filter is also acceptable method of assuring bonding in interior metal piping - though not really a requirement of the grounding electrode conductor section of 250, additional bonding of interior piping can be accomplished at any point in that interior piping.

Status
Not open for further replies.