Metallic auxiliary gutter fill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blbracer

Occupation
Electrician
Auxiliary gutters are rare. They only exist where they extend the space within another piece of equipment, and are typically an optional accessory supplied by the equipment manufacturer. If the item in question is connected to the other equipment via raceways, it is a wireway and not an auxiliary gutter.

If you have more than 30 current carrying conductors at a cross section, take a look at 310.15(A)(2) Exception in the 2017 code or 310.14(A)(2) Exception in the 2020.
Not sure I understand that exception

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
I like that definition but what about a 12 x 12 wireway 12" long?
Given that you've described it as having a distinguished axis (one of the dimensions is the 12" long dimension, the other two are the 12x12 dimensions), you still have a well defined axial direction. So the "cross" sections would still be the sections perpendicular to that axis.

Cheers, Wayne

kwired

Electron manager
Can someone define the term cross section ?
When talking about conventional raceways (like EMT) presume you cut through the tube (with conductors inside) in same manner you typically cut them to get a desired length. However many conductors you cut through is the number of conductors at that particular cross section. Wireway is same thing but number of conductors has more chance of being different at different cross sections than for raceways because the accessible design of them.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Wouldn't the cross sectional area in post #19 be by looking through the end cap of the gutter rather than into the front opening of it as it is depicted in the graphic?

JAP>

kwired

Electron manager
Wouldn't the cross sectional area in post #19 be by looking through the end cap of the gutter rather than into the front opening of it as it is depicted in the graphic?

JAP>
yes, but number of conductors at any particular cross section can vary on a wireway because they can turn and exit along the length of the wireway. A raceway the number of conductors is going to be same at all cross sections unless a conductor simply ends in the raceway or leaves in a non code compliant manner.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
yes, but number of conductors at any particular cross section can vary on a wireway because they can turn and exit along the length of the wireway. A raceway the number of conductors is going to be same at all cross sections unless a conductor simply ends in the raceway or leaves in a non code compliant manner.

I agree, it just seems to be presented oddly to me.

JAP>

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I like that definition but what about a 12 x 12 wireway 12" long?
Given that you've described it as having a distinguished axis (one of the dimensions is the 12" long dimension, the other two are the 12x12 dimensions), you still have a well defined axial direction. So the "cross" sections would still be the sections perpendicular to that axis.

Cheers, Wayne
Ok for agruments sake it's a 12" X 12" wireway 6" long?

kwired

Electron manager
Ok for agruments sake it's a 12" X 12" wireway 6" long?
What is practical difference between that and a 12x12x6 junction box other than any name on the label?

Yes wireway probably has removeable ends (or even ends that must be ordered separately) to be able to couple it to other wireway sections or accessories that give full cross section access.

Status
Not open for further replies.