Metallic raceway

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAC702

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Post a pic.

For instance, I install conduit up through the vented slots in the bases of Hammond transformers all the time. I don't see the issue.

But, I don't know what your charger looks like so I can't comment.

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
... Or is ["dampen"] one of those words that has changed spelling to reflect actual [ignorant] usage?
It's an error that has been so frequently repeated that it's at risk of becoming a whole new (wrong) word. I haven't devoted my life to becoming a Grammar Nazi, but this is one of the few battles I choose to fight.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
Ah, my bad.

To me, if there's an intended power input knockout and compartment, that's what should be used.

Perhaps. But what if the conduit comes down from above and making a U to enter the bottom exceeds max number of degrees for the conduit run? People punch holes all the time into enclosures.

kwired

Electron manager
Perhaps. But what if the conduit comes down from above and making a U to enter the bottom exceeds max number of degrees for the conduit run? People punch holes all the time into enclosures.
Yes they do punch holes, yes sometimes top entry is not permitted or even practical from other aspects. Been many times it would be convenient or look a little nicer to enter top of an enclosure yet what is inside just doesn't allow for that to happen for one reason or another. Location in interior components can be an issue, ingress protection can be an issue, just a couple examples.

Pull box or conduit body takes care of number of bends issue.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
There are many ways to run conduit in compliance with the NEC regardless of the total number of degrees. If the manufacturer of the equipment has a designated conduit entrance area included with the listing info and installation instructions it may take some creative thinking but it can be done.

Roger

MAC702

It's an error that has been so frequently repeated that it's at risk of becoming a whole new (wrong) word. I haven't devoted my life to becoming a Grammar Nazi, but this is one of the few battles I choose to fight.

Good to know. I will try to remember it. I still use "welder" for the machine and "weldor" for the person, but the latter is becoming extinct.
Same with the proper spellings for canceled, et al.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Good to know. I will try to remember it. I still use "welder" for the machine and "weldor" for the person, but the latter is becoming extinct.
Same with the proper spellings for canceled, et al.

The person is a weldor
The machine is a welder

Why is weldor becoming extinct? Seems like proper english is becoming extinct.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Hello,
I am a facility electrician at a hospital and we recently had a 250v dc battery charger replaced. The installing electrician ran a 1/2" conduit to the charger for the ac supply line. He drilled a hole through the perforated vents in the top of the charger to accept a 1/2" cast fitting and installed the emt here. I know this violates many codes and looking for help in citing the NEC excerpts that this installation violates.
The charger is a painted surface and the cast connector just has a standard cast locknut which does not maintain electrical continuity. But what about actually installing the conduit into the group of vented holes?

Generally a properly installed locknut will cut through the paint and maintain electrical continuity, so I have to disagree with you there. The perforated holes thing, as others mentioned may violate the manufacturers instruction, otherwise it may not violate code. As stated, post a picture. I suspect it might violate many of the specifications for the hospital, but not necessarily the NEC.

kwired

Electron manager
Generally a properly installed locknut will cut through the paint and maintain electrical continuity, so I have to disagree with you there. The perforated holes thing, as others mentioned may violate the manufacturers instruction, otherwise it may not violate code. As stated, post a picture. I suspect it might violate many of the specifications for the hospital, but not necessarily the NEC.
Kind of been my stance on this, it depends on other things, but as a general rule may not be an issue.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Well, we'll just never know, at least w/o having the actual instructions for the equip in question.
The OP has stated what the equipment is and where the conduit entries are per the manufacturer, what don't you understand in his posts?

Roger

FionaZuppa

Occupation
The OP has stated what the equipment is and where the conduit entries are per the manufacturer, what don't you understand in his posts?

Roger

"understanding" was not my question.

Status
Not open for further replies.