Meter banks and NEC 110.26

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
There is no doubt that meter banks shall follow working space clearances.
But does the dedicated space 6' clearance rule apply to meter banks? My guess is no but I want some reassurance.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
110.26 only calls out working space for equipment likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing or maintenance. Meters/cash registers are not required in the NEC, so I would check with your POCO, or look in their customer service handbook

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
110.26 only calls out working space for equipment likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing or maintenance. Meters/cash registers are not required in the NEC, so I would check with your POCO, or look in their customer service handbook

wait... does this mean this graphic is incorrect? It shows meter bank and clearance per NEC 110.26...

download.png

Also, I'm particular worried about dedicated space clearance, not working space clearance.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
That graphic is showing working space, dedicated space is obviously different. Is it required? Most would say yes. Check with your POCO
I know that graphic is showing working space but you just said NEC doesn't apply to meters from your previous post. The graphic says meters do have to apply to 110.26 but you said it doesn't so I'm a bit confused

Carultch

That graphic is showing working space, dedicated space is obviously different. Is it required? Most would say yes. Check with your POCO

What would be the answer if the meter socket in question, were hosting a customer-owned meter that didn't concern the POCO, rather than the POCO's service meter? As an example, a check meter.

My guess is that working space would have to apply, but not dedicated space.

Carultch

I know that graphic is showing working space but you just said NEC doesn't apply to meters from your previous post. The graphic says meters do have to apply to 110.26 but you said it doesn't so I'm a bit confused

The meter isn't specifically required by the NEC, it will be required by your POCO. This doesn't mean that the NEC doesn't govern the installation, when you do install a meter socket. Any wiring and equipment that is installed by the customer's electrician, as opposed to the utility, will be governed by the NEC. It is just that the POCO may have their own standards that either override or add to the standards from the NEC. More than likely, your POCO will have requirements that match the NEC for a meter socket's working space.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
There is no doubt that meter banks shall follow working space clearances.
But does the dedicated space 6' clearance rule apply to meter banks? My guess is no but I want some reassurance.
If they are just meters, the rules in 110.26(E) do not apply. The dedicated equipment space rules only apply to "switchboards, switchgear, panelboards, and motor control centers".

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
If they are just meters, the rules in 110.26(E) do not apply. The dedicated equipment space rules only apply to "switchboards, switchgear, panelboards, and motor control centers".
What it’s specifically a Eaton meter bank with integrated circuit breakers?

kwired

Electron manager
And many "meter banks" have switches/overcurrent devices in them, but if they don't they may not need NEC working space. POCO's still often have requirements though which may or may not include work space.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
And many "meter banks" have switches/overcurrent devices in them, but if they don't they may not need NEC working space. POCO's still often have requirements though which may or may not include work space.
I care about dedicated space clearance, not working space

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Take a look at 110.26(A)(3) exception 2

also 230.66 where it says Meterbase s aren’t service equipment.

Combo panels are

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
Take a look at 110.26(A)(3) exception 2

also 230.66 where it says Meterbase s aren’t service equipment.

Combo panels are
I’m not sure if this means eaton meter banks are not required to follow 6’ dedicated space clearance

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Simply put a meter or poco owned Meterbase is the only thing allowed to encroach in the zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.