meter bypass

Status
Not open for further replies.

la2151

Just wondering IF there is an approved way to bypass a standard resi meter main load center? have a house that we may have to combine 3 services to one location & may not want to have to change out fairley new meter main panel on one of the houses.This is all getting inspected & being approved by local poco. Never done it or seen it done(legally) but mayb?? I dnt know everything(smile)Any one ever run into this before? thanks as always for the chance to learn from every one here. The exsiting service panel is outside surface panel. We will be installing meter main Breaker panels at the new site & then refeeding back to the seperate locations.

e57

Depending on the proximity to each other - to conform with grouping - a POCO compliant gutter...

With PG&E I do this very often with multi-unit buildings... Bring the service conductors sized for the service as a whole via a load calc - then a riser or UG conduit via a termination can to a suitably sized gutter - say a 6"x6"X48" NEMA 3 gutter then nipples to each service or meter base. The gutter needs to be able to be sealed with a wire seal. Meaning it will have a little loop to run it through as well as a screw with a hole that PG&E will provide. Or get a 1/4-20 and put in the can from the inside out - provide a wing nut and painstakenly drill a hole in the 1/4-20 and one side of the wing-nut so they can seal it....

If they are far away from each other do the same but use a main disconnect prior to the gutter to get out of grouping the service.

mdshunk

Install a new meter can, and feed the existing meter mains from the load side of that meter can via a gutter. Put jumper bars and blankoff plates in the meter location of the existing metering location of the meter-mains.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
mdshunk said:
Install a new meter can, and feed the existing meter mains from the load side of that meter can via a gutter. Put jumper bars and blankoff plates in the meter location of the existing metering location of the meter-mains.

by jumper bars he means 3/4" emt w/ the ends crimped.

la2151

meter bypass

brantmacga said:
by jumper bars he means 3/4" emt w/ the ends crimped.
HI. yes this is what i am wondering about? Is it leagal & safe to make jumper bars to use or Is/are there UL listed jumpers to use?? again many thanks.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
la2151 said:
HI. yes this is what i am wondering about? Is it leagal & safe to make jumper bars to use or Is/are there UL listed jumpers to use?? again many thanks.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO I was really just kidding!!!! Sorry about that. guess i should've used that smiley.

la2151

meter bypass

brantmacga said:
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO I was really just kidding!!!! Sorry about that. guess i should've used that smiley.
WELL?? yes I really thought u were just kidding bout using EMT jumpers but did help me with asking about A listed application to do this. thanks.. I know, the customer, I guess may have to buy a private meter to plug in just to complete the pwr.The new meters will be approx 400' from the farthest existing panel.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
la2151 said:
WELL?? yes I really thought u were just kidding bout using EMT jumpers but did help me with asking about A listed application to do this. thanks.. I know, the customer, I guess may have to buy a private meter to plug in just to complete the pwr.The new meters will be approx 400' from the farthest existing panel.

hang on i'm going to try and pull a pic up to show you something

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
i recently had to relocate a meter. you may could try something like this. just replaced the meter w/ a junction box and spliced the cables together.

db72736647e4.jpg

7fd552b70729.jpg

in this particular instance, it wasn't exactly code compliant, but it to make a long story short it was the only thing we could do without ripping the house open (vaulted ceiling and all that) and the inspectors decided to let it go this way.

e57

OK now I get it - trying to low ball your way out of removing the meters :roll: to other units to create single metering from 3. Not just trying to get rid of the additional service drops.... Ahhhhh.....

Yes - they do make a listed set of jumpers built into a meter blank.
Here is one company but there are more a good local supplier should have them available for order.
Oh heres another....

FYI if you stick a pipe in there - your inspector may just laugh in your face IMPO. And pictures may get posted here.... :wink:

la2151

meter bypass

wow.. this place once again is sooo helpfull.Ya I know I had no intention to even try to do anything that the inspector wud laugh at me. I try to hard to be safe,legal & professional.Just knew If I asked here some one wud have the answers I needed.. Many thanks again for letting me learn here & all the help.The GC will be pleased when I tell him he dsnt have to have another meter doing nothing but spin..

e57

la2151 said:
Ya I know I had no intention to even try to do anything that the inspector wud laugh at me. I try to hard to be safe,legal & professional.

Don't take my "Laugh in your face" comment the wrong way - wasn't meant as an insult to you. And those who suggested putting a peice of conduit or copper pipe in a meter base as a current carrying buss have probably seen and laughed at the many pictures that show up here from time to time showing the use of copper pipe as a replacement for fuses in disconnects. - Also not allowed....

jrannis

They make a piece of flat bar about 1/8" or so wide with the middle insulated the ends have about 3/4" return on each end. Your power company should be able to help you with getting some.

Status
Not open for further replies.