Meter/Socket ground question

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickelec

The nec says you could do it at either location
However some power companies and local authorities have a say of where they want it

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
You install GEC at the service disconnect(s) or any point ahead of them, up to the point of connection to the service drop or lateral or other overhead/underground service conductors.

you bond everything containing service conductors to the grounded service conductor.

beyond the service disconnecting means you bond raceways/enclosures to the equipment grounding conductor, and keep the grounded conductor isolated.

lielec11

Ah ok, so you include the EGC from the disconnects on down.

What would I do without this site I don't know.

If you're installing the GEC at the wireway as shown, I believe you'd need EGCs from the wireway through the disconnects, otherwise how would the EGCs "from the disconnects on down" be connected to the grounding system?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I believe you'd need EGCs from the wireway through the disconnects, otherwise how would the EGCs "from the disconnects on down" be connected to the grounding system?
They would be connected to the service neutrals in the disconnects.

Roger

kwired

Electron manager
If you're installing the GEC at the wireway as shown, I believe you'd need EGCs from the wireway through the disconnects, otherwise how would the EGCs "from the disconnects on down" be connected to the grounding system?
Bonding each enclosure and adding an EGC just creates additional parallel paths for grounded conductor current.

Status
Not open for further replies.