Meter stack grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Can anyone please help with post #18 questions? 250.24 allow either one overall MBJ for assembly or each service disco have its own MBJ but post #18 case has manufacturer provided two neutral bars and two EGC bars on ether side for 3 service disco either side one enclosed assembly.
The separate jumper for each disco presumes separate enclosures. You have a single assembly.

Your PDF shows that the neutral and GECs land in the left side and EGCs land in the right side.

In any case, the entire assembly requires only single connections. Don't think about it as six separate disconnects.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
The separate jumper for each disco presumes separate enclosures. You have a single assembly.

Your PDF shows that the neutral and GECs land in the left side and EGCs land in the right side.

In any case, the entire assembly requires only single connections. Don't think about it as six separate disconnects.

Post #18 pdf not the left side neutral bar but what is the bar left side under the third meter from top? Is it not another EGC bar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Post #18 pdf not the left side neutral bar but what is the bar left side under the third meter from top? Is it not another EGC bar?
I was looking at the drawing in the center of the PDF. There may well be both a neutral bus and an EGC bus in each side.

Regardless, as an assembly, I still maintain that there should already be a neutral/ground bond built in there somewhere.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Post #1 shows two n to g bonds and post #18 pdf shows two neutral and EGC bars each side. So post#1 two n to g bond would be just one n to g bond but which side?

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Post #1 shows two n to g bonds and post #18 pdf shows two neutral and EGC bars each side. So post#1 two n to g bond would be just one n to g bond but which side?
I still think it's integral to the terminal cabinet. Mine was:

DSC00237.JPG

Last edited:

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Ok so asked the engineer for manufacturer data sheet. Post #1 attachment center The terminal box is separate, 2 position meter stack with breaker on right of terminal box is separate attached and 2 position meter stack with breaker on left is separate attached

1. Terminal box is Square D EZM11200TBU EZ Meter stack main lugs terminal. Quantity #1.

2. 2 position meter socket with breaker Square D EZML112225. Quantity 2 one on left and one on right of #1 terminal box.

There is only one incoming service. Would one do MBJ and GEC as complete one assembly or two separate assemblies and should it have two n to g bond and two GEC? View attachment EZ Meter-Pak Meter Centers_EZM11200TBU.pdf

Attachments

• 3297.pdf
    55 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Ok please someone knowledgeable help with this question: Please see the attached. The 2 position meter stack is separate and gets attached one to the right and one to the left of the terminal box. Terminal box is also separate. Incoming utility comes into the terminal box.

Please see post #27 attachment for terminal box cut sheet and 2 position meter stack each side. Terminal box, two meter stacks are ordered from manufacturer and are put together on site.

Question is the two position meter stack each have MBJ or should it be treated like one assembly with one MBJ? NEC 2014 250.24

Attachments

• E183F53B-CE58-456A-BA4F-929D70DC6CBD.jpeg
    E183F53B-CE58-456A-BA4F-929D70DC6CBD.jpeg
    72.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Since there is not a single main disconnect, the entire assembly is service equipment. The GEC can land anywhere on the neutral bus in any compartment. I would bond N-G in each of the three sections if it has that capability, 250.92(B)(1). It is not clear to me if just using the one N-G bond in the terminal section would be compliant. I know those sections have a gasket where they join together which certainly is not a good electrical connection. They do have some fasteners of course, but IIRC they are usually sheet metal type screws and I am not really seeing that as meeting the spirit of 250.92(B)

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Ok please someone knowledgeable help with this question:
Knowledgeable people have been giving you advice and since you want to ignore their help with an insulting comment there is no reason to continue the conversation.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.