Methods for cutting a box into a stucco wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

arazu

There is no shear, 1" foam, chicken wire, and ~0.5" of stucco. It's not the sturdy 3 coat stuff either.

I've tried numerous different ways in the past and I've never been entirely happy with any of them.

How do you all go about it?

eHunter

There is no shear, 1" foam, chicken wire, and ~0.5" of stucco. It's not the sturdy 3 coat stuff either.

I've tried numerous different ways in the past and I've never been entirely happy with any of them.

How do you all go about it?
The stucco guys around here use a Dual Saw and 4" abrasive cutoff tools to cut into the walls to add electrical boxes, windows, doors or to do patch work.

https://www.dualsaw.com/

PetrosA

My method yesterday? A 1.5" chisel tip in my Hilti combi hammer to score out for a 4" pancake and bust the stucco apart from the screen. Something tells me this might be a bit above your pay grade for now, though ;)

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Thanks!

I haven't tried my multi tool. I was afraid the stucco would dull the wood/metal blade. The masonry blade seemed like it would take forever.

i just cut out a 16" X 36" hole in 1" stucco for a panel upgrade....

fein tool, carbide blade, score it along the sharpie line, then
use a chipping point in my little battery hammer drill, to break
it up in small chunks, snip the chicken wire, and vacuum up.

two hours, but it looks like it was saw cut.

PetrosA

i just cut out a 16" X 36" hole in 1" stucco for a panel upgrade....

fein tool, carbide blade, score it along the sharpie line, then
use a chipping point in my little battery hammer drill, to break
it up in small chunks, snip the chicken wire, and vacuum up.

two hours, but it looks like it was saw cut.

For cuts that large I'd get out a carbide blade for the sawzall. They don't call me Sawzall Pete for nothin' ;)

I got a Roto-Zip years ago, not impressed. Squirelly at best IMO...may be just me...IDK.

Not inclined to buy any other stuff they make.

I don't know, I have a knock off product and certainly only use it as a layman - compared to you guys - but it works like a charm. The difference between clockwise and counterclockwise - the right way - is amazing. The only thing I used before was a manual hole-saw and that requires some skill.

jumper

I don't know, I have a knock off product and certainly only use it as a layman - compared to you guys - but it works like a charm. The difference between clockwise and counterclockwise - the right way - is amazing. The only thing I used before was a manual hole-saw and that requires some skill.

Could be why I do not like it...:slaphead:

what bit would you use to cut through stucco?

http://www.rotozip.com/en-us/Pages/CategoryDetail.aspx?pid=5040_5039

[h=3]DuraCut Bit
XB-DC1[/h]
buynow_btn.png

For cuts in plaster (with metal or wooden lath) and cement board.

I think, but you can always ask them.

kwired

Electron manager
Diamond blade in 4-1/2 grinder. Works great for concrete, brick, tile, cement board, just about anything. Will cut wood, but a blade designed for wood would be better.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've used the Fein Multi-master with either a diamond blade like this one : http://imperialblades.com/products/flush-cut-segmented-carbide-blade.html or a carbide blade like this one : http://imperialblades.com/blades/tile-grout-accessories/1-1-4-flush-cut-carbide-blade.html . Never had a problem.

FWIW, the Fein Multi-master is one of the best tools I've ever purchased. The Roto-Zip is one of the worst. The bits burn up in seconds irrespective of what you cut through or what blade you use. Just my opinion

GUNNING

The Roto-Zip is one of the worst. The bits burn up in seconds irrespective of what you cut through or what blade you use. Just my opinion

I got a Roto-Zip years ago, not impressed. Squirelly at best IMO...may be just me...IDK.

After the first couple or pack of bits and mandrels I got the idea I am not capable of using a Rotozip,

I would use the score and cut. Score the stucco to get the outline then cut the under treatment.

Last edited:

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
After the first couple or pack of bits and mandrels I got the idea I am not capable of using a Rotozip,
It really doesn't work as easily as it shows on the TV commercials. Try cutting thru the back of sink cabinet. You'll set off the smoke alarm 50' away.

Status
Not open for further replies.