microwave question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetlag

thanks split bolt

thanks split bolt

I stub-out the 12/2 and later cut-in a pop-in. Gives the customer that much more cabinet space! Words of caution based on past experience: If the m/w is not on site during rough-in, get the model # and check the specs on the manufacturer's website. There are a LOT of them now that are 240V, 30A!:)

It is my own house and I dont think I need the 240 delux. wow do other people run this many 120 v circuits according to post I need 2 small app, 1 micro, 1 disposal ,1 dish wash ,and 1 frig I want , Thats 6 circuits , i have a house I wired in the 70's when didnt know better and the whole kitchen is on 1 - 20 except doesnt have disposal and the micro is on counter top and the frige on another line. Guess what that breaker has never tripped. Bottom line do I need 6 circuits to kitchen to comply with code

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Thats sounds good Im trying to decide how many circuits to pull to kinchen, 2 for small app, 1 for fixed micro, i want frig on a seperate 15 amp, can the disposal and or dish wash be on the line together or on the micro line
I go heavy on kitchen circuits, its hard to predict what will get plugged in where. Don't like explaining to HO over phone why her breaker trips every time she turns on her toaster, coffeepot, countertop microwave, electric frying pan, blender, and window unit AC on 16ga extension cord all at the same time.

Maybe I couldn't prevent breaker tripping, but at least I could explain that I had put her in more circuits than required by code.

jetlag

thanks readydave

thanks readydave

I go heavy on kitchen circuits, its hard to predict what will get plugged in where. Don't like explaining to HO over phone why her breaker trips every time she turns on her toaster, coffeepot, countertop microwave, electric frying pan, blender, and window unit AC on 16ga extension cord all at the same time.

Maybe I couldn't prevent breaker tripping, but at least I could explain that I had put her in more circuits than required by code.

I think Ill put frig on small app since the micro has its own circuit. And run a 14/3 multiwire to disposal and dish wash . So now Im counting 4 cables

hurk27

I think Ill put frig on small app since the micro has its own circuit. And run a 14/3 multiwire to disposal and dish wash . So now Im counting 4 cables

First it is the NEC that will limit you to a dedicated circuit for a micro-mate, 210.23(A)(2) if a fixed in place appliance is over 50% it must be on it own circuit, also another reason for a single receptacle, and I have never seen one of these pull less then 1200 watts, a disposal that pulls 8 amps, and a dishwasher that pulls 10 amps, is allowed to be on the same 20 amp circuit as nether one is over 50% of the circuit, no 125% calculation is needed as nether is a continuous load.

M. D.

I like these , I use them for pigs ,microwaves , kitchen counter and any room that the finish wall has not been decided upon.

602042_front200.jpg

Split Bolt

It is my own house and I dont think I need the 240 delux. wow do other people run this many 120 v circuits according to post I need 2 small app, 1 micro, 1 disposal ,1 dish wash ,and 1 frig I want , Thats 6 circuits , i have a house I wired in the 70's when didnt know better and the whole kitchen is on 1 - 20 except doesnt have disposal and the micro is on counter top and the frige on another line. Guess what that breaker has never tripped. Bottom line do I need 6 circuits to kitchen to comply with code

A couple of weeks ago, I changed the service on a 1960's house. When I was marking-out the panel, I discovered that there was a single, 20A circuit that fed the washer, gas dryer, all kitchen receptacles (3 total) and the dining room receptacles!

jetlag

Thanks md

Thanks md

I like these , I use them for pigs ,microwaves , kitchen counter and any room that the finish wall has not been decided upon.

602042_front200.jpg

Those are nice for adjusting the depth but try hitting the hole right on a cabinet that has to be leveled and adjusted after putting in place. I go for the surface mount but neatest is an old work box.

jetlag

14/3 multiwire

14/3 multiwire

can 14/3 be used for 2 - 15 amp multiwires, might have prob finding a 240 15amp breaker though, I can run that to disposal and dishwash

Jim W in Tampa

can 14/3 be used for 2 - 15 amp multiwires, might have prob finding a 240 15amp breaker though, I can run that to disposal and dishwash

Why are you being so cheap on your own house ? Think about future when you might want to upgrade the DW or pig. 12-3 is not that much more. And if you need to save money then run 12-2 as the DW and pig come to less than 20 amps.
I personally would never put my frig on anything but dedicated circuit, just not worth the chance of it tripping and my beer getting warm.

jetlag

Thanks jim

Thanks jim

Why are you being so cheap on your own house ? Think about future when you might want to upgrade the DW or pig. 12-3 is not that much more. And if you need to save money then run 12-2 as the DW and pig come to less than 20 amps.
I personally would never put my frig on anything but dedicated circuit, just not worth the chance of it tripping and my beer getting warm.

I didnt think a pig or dw would ever need over 1800 watt never liked multi wire any way, it just doesnt seen right connecting it to 240 to me , Id rather just run 2 #12 . hey now you got my attention with beer getting warm better run a #14 for that

hurk27

I didn't think a pig or dw would ever need over 1800 watt never liked multi wire any way, it just doesn't seen right connecting it to 240 to me , Id rather just run 2 #12 . hey now you got my attention with beer getting warm better run a #14 for that

we been running one 20 amp circuit for many years for the split dishwasher/disposal receipt,

the layout I use is this
2-20 amp circuits for counter spaces unless there will be more then 4 receptacles per circuit then I will add another or pull off the general receipts
one for dining room/kitchen general wall receptacles.
one for the breakfast nook if large enough or it will go on the general
one for the fridge/gas range
one for dishwasher/disposal
one for micro-mate
any other appliances will get one circuit per depending upon the load

so you can wind up having as many as 7 or 8 circuits in a kitchen, and I have had some kitchens go as high as 15 20 amp circuits, but most small houses will be around 4 to 6

The main thing I never want to happen is have a customer who moved out of an old house who put up with tripping breakers have the same thing happen in their new house. not good for business, first thing that goes through their head is "is the house going to burn down" many have that fear.

electricmanscott

Hard to take you seriously anymore after a certain recent thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.