mid-1970s(?) Crouse-Hinds panel. Replacement breakers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Serious

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What currently-made breakers are listed for use in this panel? I first made the mistake of thinking it was a Challenger panel from the 1990s because of the Challenger main breaker, but that must be a replacement, because the other breakers under the main are Crouse-Hinds and the label says it is a Crouse-Hinds panel

I did an internet search and came up with one post where someone said the proper breakers to use in an old Crouse-Hinds panel are Siemens breakers. And, I see the original breakers were marked as type MP, which is the same as currently-manufactured Murray breakers, which I think are the same or similar to Siemens type QP. So, is that correct?

There was a used 20A tandem breaker in there that was arcing to the bus. I told the customer it wasn't the correct breaker for the panel, then realized I may have spoken too soon. It didn't have a brand but was marked "type A and C," so I think it was a Challenger breaker. I also think the arcing was more due to the breaker being used when installed, rather than the fact it was not listed for this panel, so I probably shouldn't have made an issue of that. But, since I did, I want to make sure that any breaker I use in this panel is listed for it.

Attachments

• breakers.png
    breakers.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
  • label.png
    label.png
    1 MB · Views: 27

Mr. Serious

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I forgot to mention, I didn't post the whole label, but there is another part down below where it says the only acceptable breakers are the ones listed in the chart above (the one on the right side of the picture).

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
So unless you find a Crouse Hinds breaker youre stuck with using a breaker that will fit but is not listed for that panel.
I would do it and move on.
Unless customer is willing to pay for a new panel swap out.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Crouse Hinds used brand labeled Murray breakers. Murray became Siemens, so the Siemens breakers are (I believe) listed for use in Crouse Hinds panels, at least there were when I worked for Siemens 16+ years ago. Siemens may have let the listing lapse though, it costs money to maintain a UL listing and Crouse Hinds panels are getting rare.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I had a customer that had a Crouse-Hinds panel that the main burned out. I couldn't find a replacement main. What I did was buy a Murray panel and swap the guts out. Everything lined up except I had to drill the cabinet for the cover to bolt on. Seems like the two center screws lined up but the top and bottom did not. With that said, I would just put Siemens breakers in and move on. Or, if you can find them, an Eaton Classified breaker.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I had a customer that had a Crouse-Hinds panel that the main burned out. I couldn't find a replacement main. What I did was buy a Murray panel and swap the guts out. Everything lined up except I had to drill the cabinet for the cover to bolt on. Seems like the two center screws lined up but the top and bottom did not. With that said, I would just put Siemens breakers in and move on. Or, if you can find them, an Eaton Classified breaker.

I know Eaton offers a retrofit bus and cover, and I think Square D does also. Eaton will build whatever you want if you send them the cabinet dimensions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What I did was buy a Murray panel and swap the guts out. Everything lined up except I had to drill the cabinet for the cover to bolt on. Seems like the two center screws lined up but the top and bottom did not.
Done that plenty of times, different brands for best fit, saves time over cabinet replacement, happy customers.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I know Eaton offers a retrofit bus and cover, and I think Square D does also. Eaton will build whatever you want if you send them the cabinet dimensions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They are expensive
Takes too long to get one when you need it now. (Imagine ordering one now when you can't even get breakers, panels, meter bases, etc.)
I'm sure they have their place

Status
Not open for further replies.