Mike Holt Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esthy

I was talking with another electrician today and he said that he watched Mike Holt video on rods and that installing grounding rods in a separated building was not recommend if there are already rods at the main service. I looked for the video and didn't find anything relate. This separated building we were talking about is 20' away from the house main panel (manufactured house) Any idea about that video?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I was talking with another electrician today and he said that he watched Mike Holt video on rods and that installing grounding rods in a separated building was not recommend if there are already rods at the main service. I looked for the video and didn't find anything relate. This separated building we were talking about is 20' away from the house main panel (manufactured house) Any idea about that video?

I doubt that you can find a video that says exactly what you said, since I do no think that it is true.

If the separate building is fed by exactly one branch circuit you do not need any ground electrodes at that building and the NEC is satisfied with an EGC included as part of that circuit.
But if you send a feeder or service to the building you MUST have a GES there. It can be rods, CEE, or any other qualifying electrode type, but for many soils a CEE will be far better than rods.
The only video I remember from Mike about ground rods is the one where I believe he ended up driving a 50' long rod into his Florida soil to get a low enough resistance to get by with only one ground rod.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I doubt that you can find a video that says exactly what you said, since I do no think that it is true.

If the separate building is fed by exactly one branch circuit you do not need any ground electrodes at that building and the NEC is satisfied with an EGC included as part of that circuit.

A branch circuit includes a multiwire brnach circuit, so you could run 12-3 UF/W g to a garage without having a GES. But see 225.31 for disconnecting requirements. Before the 2014 NEC the disconnect had to be listed for service equipment, typically a panelboard or fuses. With this you have a feeder, and then a GES is required. The change in the 2014 NEC IMO is a great change, as it just requires snap switch or similar.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I don't think there is such a video. The other electrician is either misinformed or misunderstood.

Status
Not open for further replies.