Mikes video on getting ready for the exam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrogrunt

I have just seen Mikes video where he talks with his video team about getting organized for the exam, and what they did to pass. One of the things Mike said that struck home is how he was treated by other electricians as he prepared for his journeymans exam; they put him down. I remember this kind of treatment during my days as a budding electrician. What the bashers don't understand is that they are destroying the trade by doing this. Many a time I asked questions only to be told that I should already know the answer, or was given a derogatory remark. Not all electricians did this, but what I believe it stems from is ignorance on the part of the people delivering negative comments. I made a promise to myself to never treat an apprentice like that, but to try to show them what I know, and if I don't, at least admit it. One apprentice paid me a compliment that I will never forget. We were working on cable tray 30 feet above ground, and were trying to get a pulley to cooperate. The ground crew were ready to go, and yelling so. I stood my ground, and made sure this apprentice understood everything until we proceeded. He paid me the ultimate compliment months later, even though we had only worked together for a day. That meant such a great deal to me. I am not trying to blow my own horn, but to suggest that although this is a tough trade, we should all try to help each other. I still consider myself a life long apprentice, meaning that I am open to learn. I truly believe that we as a trade should always strive to improve not only ourselves, but to help others. I am very grateful for this web site, and hope to someday be able to contribute to others the way the people I consider to be the very best do. Ok, I am off my soap box.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It is true that the newbies get teased and treated sometimes unfairly. It is part of the hazing or initiation, if you will. Sometimes it goes too far.

Status
Not open for further replies.