Military Fort License or Credentials Requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

dickdick

I'm a Kansas Licensed Master Electrician. My new job is with a federal contractor that remodels classrooms on Military Bases.
The remodels main scope is A/V and Data. My job is to move 120 around as needed with new A/V equipment.
Occasionally a new circuit or 2 will be pulled.
Previously these tasks have been handled by subs.
No permits or inspections needed to be pulled for any of these existing room upgrades previously.
My new employer wants me to be Darn sure I have the proper credentials!
Does my Lawrence Kansas Master License have me covered?
What credentials will I need to work in Ft. Leonard Wood in Missouri?

growler

I'm a Kansas Licensed Master Electrician. My new job is with a federal contractor that remodels classrooms on Military Bases.

My new employer wants me to be Darn sure I have the proper credentials.

The only problem I see is that if your employeer is not an electrical contractor he may not have the proper insurance to cover electrical work.

I did some work for the government in Afghanistan and my Georgia License was all that was required.

Don't be fooled by the fact that there will not be a local inspection, the government may have their own idea of what an inspection is and send their own inspectors. The officer in charge is now the authority having jurisdiction. It up to them to accept any creditials and what they will be willing to accept as far as an inspection.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I can't answer for electrical contractor licenses. But the projects I designed for military bases around the country (and beyond) have all allowed me to seal the documents with my Washington State PE license. The general notion is that, as a point of fact, Fort Leonard Wood is not actually located in the state of Missouri, but rather is federal property that happens to be surrounded by the state of Missouri.

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
security clearances??

security clearances??

What type classrooms - anything involving military secret discussions in the classes to be held ?

Make sure your employer was not referring to security clearances vs. trade certificates.

Have done a lot of electrical work at military installations from Minuteman silos to missile defense sites to classified maintenance shops, have no PE or any state certificates, just a 50 year old EIT and EE degree.

The only checks* on electrical work in those type locations are security clearance verifications (e.g. Secret, Top secret, special program access, CN, etc.)

*of course, that is after the drawing have been reviewed by multiple teams of folks, and there is ALWAYS someone there with you.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
If you're doing work at FLW, the AHJ is going to be the Army Corps of Engineers. Been there, done that. 'Scuse me while I go have my panic attack now...

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
just to get on base

good points: self and co-worker (who was driving) were once given the '3rd degree' by gate guard at Schriever because the driver unfastened his seat belt when getting his wallet out to show ID!

OTOH, About 6 years ago, went thru gate at Pearl with a retired admiral who had been base commander in past years, saw the crispest salute I ever did see !

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
good points: self and co-worker (who was driving) were once given the '3rd degree' by gate guard at Schriever because the driver unfastened his seat belt when getting his wallet out to show ID!
Clearly he expected you to turn off the engine and set the parking brake before unbuckling. :lol:
But, of course, you could not actually part there. :happysad:

Status
Not open for further replies.