Minimum Bend Radius

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike01

Haven't been on one of those wind farms yet?

Did a couple of wind turbines on Kodiak and we ran parallel 777 DLO cables. Talk about a bear to handle - DLO has a soft rubber outter jacket...

500's are not bad, and fit in 4" pipe, 777's in a 5" pipe, are not something you handle, they handle you!

Never been on a wind farm would love to tho. the DLO cables are the flexible disel locomotieve cables? these are typically used to handle tighter bends? I always thought they would be easier to install and handle due to their flexibility??I guess I was wrong.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Never been on a wind farm would love to tho. the DLO cables are the flexible disel locomotieve cables? these are typically used to handle tighter bends? I always thought they would be easier to install and handle due to their flexibility??I guess I was wrong.

Overall the cable is a good selection. Beyond that, it was a GE specification. There were only four of us for a crew, so no matter what happened, it was going to be tough. It was a poly water (make sure the lube is rated for the wire) extravaganza to get it in. here is a couple of pictures that make it easier to explain -

Editting - Need directions on BB code to drag photos out of album to the forum... can some one throw some directions?

Last edited:
I always thought they would be easier to install and handle due to their flexibility??I guess I was wrong.

You thought right. They are MUCH easier to handle than standard Class B stranded. The insulation is more 'sticky' than THHN, or maybe even XHHW or RHH, so you need a lot lube. Cost considerably more AND you need lugs that are specifically designed and listed for welding/locomotive cable.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
You thought right. They are MUCH easier to handle than standard Class B stranded. The insulation is more 'sticky' than THHN, or maybe even XHHW or RHH, so you need a lot lube. Cost considerably more AND you need lugs that are specifically designed and listed for welding/locomotive cable.

We just followed exactly what GE specified for the JOB. If I remember correctly, they were 750 Burundy's...nothing to totally special. A crimp and a heat shrink booty. Torque to spec, call it a job.

The insulation is more 'sticky' than THHN, or maybe even XHHW or RHH, so you need a lot lube.

Edit - The voltage is 690 volts at the particular installation, Cable needs to be properly rated, in our case, the cable was rated at 2000 volts (DLO 777's).

Last edited:

Mike01

pictures

pictures

wow..great pictures that xfmr. looks so small next to the base of the wind supports.. great info too weressl.

ATSman

ATSman
Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Electrical Testing & Controls
At worked for a wire manufacturer for a couple of years. Here is the chart we always sent out as a recommendation:

temp.jpg

Thanks!
see attached
This what the contractor had to terminate.

Tony

drbond24

No to be a fickle about it, but it is always proper to include the source of such materials for two reasons;
  1. Copyright
  2. Identifying the responsible party, so it can be judged by the installer the authority of such statements.
As you can see the data here differs from the Okonite data I've supplied in an earlier post. Were you to use this data in installing an Okonite cable, you were to relieve Okonite of any consequentual liability.

I see your point, but I would wager that the chart I attached was copied from another wire manufacturer's technical data. If it doesn't match Okonite, I bet it matches Southwire. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.