minimum cover requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

C. Rossi

What is the minimum cover requirement for Rigid non-metallic below the top surface of finished grade in all conditions?
Is it 4" under a 4" concrete slab? 300.5 Table

raider1

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.:)

Could you clarify the question?

As written the question can't really be answered correctly.

Chris

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
What is the minimum cover requirement for Rigid non-metallic below the top surface of finished grade in all conditions?
Is it 4" under a 4" concrete slab? 300.5 Table

The cover requirement will vary depending on conditions. If it is subject to vehicular traffic then 24" for non dwelling. If it is a dwelling then it could be 18" with vehicular traffic.

So-- what is your specific situation or is this just a general question.

C. Rossi

Sorry for the confusion. My question comes from a practice test in the book, Stallcup's Journeyman Electrician's Study Guide.

The question verbatim is:

Rigid nonmetallic conduit shall be installed a least ________ in. below the top surface of finished grade.

A. 6
B. 12
C. 18
D. 24

I doesn't mention it's condition. So, I take it as minimum requirement for any and all conditions. Which would be 0 in. provided that it is under a building Table 300.5. But to pick an answer from those choices I would pick B. 12 in. with the condition that it is in a trench below 2 in thick concrete. What do you think? Really it's a bad question if they don't give you a condition.

The answers are published in another book, which I don't have. So, Occasionally I come across a question that can be ambiguous.

C.Rossi

cripple

minimum cover requirements

Since no condition is noted I would have picked C 18 inches, which is least cover before modified by the requirements listed below the first column.

Status
Not open for further replies.