Minimum distance from ground mount array to pool? NEC 680? 690? Who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArcNSpark

Hi all,

I need to know if there's a minimum distance requirement between a ground mounted PV array and a swimming pool.

I didn't see anything specific in either 680 or 690...and it might be a building code that changes with every town.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

shortcircuit2

Great Question...and there is nothing in the electrical code that addresses this ...yet.

Closest rule is 680.22(D) for "Other Outlets"...but of course a PV System is not an Outlet. I would recommend, for Safety to follow this rule for any Interconnected Electric Power Production Source.

ArcNSpark

Great Question...and there is nothing in the electrical code that addresses this ...yet.

Closest rule is 680.22(D) for "Other Outlets"...but of course a PV System is not an Outlet. I would recommend, for Safety to follow this rule for any Interconnected Electric Power Production Source.

That's really all I could find as well.

Thanks for your reply. When I get an answer, I'll post it here for anyone else who needs this.

pv_n00b

Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I don't see anything about unrelated electrical systems that just happen to be near a pool. I would be careful of running afoul of 680.26 that requires equipotential bonding of metal within 3' of the pool. Just a natural conservatism would lead me to keep all PV system equipment out of reach of anyone in the pool or in adjacent wet areas. I have seen quite a few PV covered trellis structures in Southern California backyards where there are pools. Pretty popular many years ago when LADWP has a moratorium on putting modules on residential roofs. They were built high enough that someone could not reach them from a standing position on the deck.

I'm not sure if it helps, but I believe the California Fire Code says that a ground-mount needs to have a minimum of 10' of unobstructed area surrounding it, free of trees, brush, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.