minimum height for ceiling fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
mgd said:
is there a minimum blade height for a residence?

The minimum height is listed with the fan manufacturer. I believe it is 7 foot to the blades but not certain. Fan literature should have that info.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
its a building code requirement, and its 7' to the bottom of the fixture (including light kit). if it is above a pool or spa, the minimum height is 7' 6".

stickboy1375

brantmacga said:
its a building code requirement, and its 7' to the bottom of the fixture (including light kit). if it is above a pool or spa, the minimum height is 7' 6".

it's 12' above a pool... 7'6" is with GFI protection and identified for use beneath ceiling structures such as provided on porches or patios.

Last edited:

benmin

Occupation
Master Electrician
In my area, it is 7' to the blades by building codes. I believe this will vary by area

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
stickboy1375 said:
it's 12' above a pool... 7'6" is with GFI protection and identified for use beneath ceiling structures such as provided on porches or patios.
In addition to the pool and spa, in 410.4(D), (not) "within a zone measured 900 mm (3 ft) horizontally and 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold." for those who want one in a bathroom.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Marc, he might be thinking about 310.6.1. Habitable space shall have a ceiling height of not less than 7'6".....

Then there are some exceptions, but no mention of ceiling fans.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Dennis Alwon said:
The minimum height is listed with the fan manufacturer. I believe it is 7 foot to the blades but not certain. Fan literature should have that info.

Here is a statement I got off a fan web site.

For safety reasons it is generally accepted that fan blades should be no less than 7' from the floor. Most downrod fans, with the typically included short downrod, position the blades approximately 12" from the ceiling. Therefore, downrod fans are normally used on ceilings 8' and higher. On ceilings lower than 8' one would typically use a hugger fan, in which the blades are generally 5-7" from the ceiling.

I think you'll find the fan literature will say the same as I stated above previously.

rcarroll

Let's keep this simple. If the fan blades are hitting the tallest member of the household in the head, it's too low. If the blades are hitting the sheetrock on a vaulted ceiling, install a down rod. But, don't install a long enough down rod so it will hit someone's head.:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.