Minimum load @ 240-volt circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

2SIN54

Good morning,

I was looking in my code book (2011 edition) recently on various subjects, and came across some text that read . . . minimum load on a 240-volt branch circuit is 12-ampere . . .

Now i'm wondering what exactly that was referring to but can't find it again. Of course right!, now that I'm actually looking for it I can't find it :blink:!

Any ideas?

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
Good morning,

I was looking in my code book (2011 edition) recently on various subjects, and came across some text that read . . . minimum load on a 240-volt branch circuit is 12-ampere . . .

Now i'm wondering what exactly that was referring to but can't find it again. Of course right!, now that I'm actually looking for it I can't find it :blink:!

Any ideas?

I don't believe the Code says anything like that. You're not thinking of the minimum #14 conductor size in 310.106(A) are you?

2SIN54

No not that. Im trying to remember what article it was in etc. I spend a lot of time in the code book as relates to dwellings and sometimes get lost on a tangent looking at commercial/industrial stuff . . .

When i came across it I thought wow I don't remember seeing that before, was gonna make a note of where it was but got "distracted" by some other parts of the code I was researching.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
No not that. Im trying to remember what article it was in etc. I spend a lot of time in the code book as relates to dwellings and sometimes get lost on a tangent looking at commercial/industrial stuff . . .

When i came across it I thought wow I don't remember seeing that before, was gonna make a note of where it was but got "distracted" by some other parts of the code I was researching.
It's not there, you read it wrong or read something out of context. There are probably billions of 240V branch circuits feeding very small loads.

Roger

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer

I agree with Roger. It's not in there.

12A is the maximum cord-and-plug load permitted on a 15A receptacle, on a branch circuit with two or more receptacles or outlets (210.21(B)(2)). Maybe that was it.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Are you maybe thinking of wording in Article 220 for Branch-Circuit, Feeder, and Service Calculations? Minimum AMOUNTS of load are mentioned in that process.

2SIN54

I agree there doesn't seem to be any logic to it, but man its driving me nuts..

I looked at 210.6(A)(2) but it wasn't that either. Just weird ya know. Maybe I'll stumble across it again :?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
BTW, what would we do for small motors? Start at Table 430.248 and the Tables following it and note how many 240 V motors are less than 12 amps. That would mean couldn't have single small 240 V motors fed from a branch circuit.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.