Minnestota Class A Master Exam help

Status
Not open for further replies.

spdfreakls1

Hello,

I am trying to locate a seminar or prep class for the Minnesota Class A Master exam. I have 14 Master/contractor licenses but Minnesota seems to be the most difficult. I have taken it twice to far and my results are not even on the edge of passing. Also having to not just choose 1 right answer, but sometimes many, decreases your chances of getting the questions right. I have the Mike Holt complete exam prep package. It has helped with many exams but the calculations on the MN test seem to not directly be covered in Mike holts books and videos. The only prep classes I have been able to find are once a week classes (I am out of State). I would be happy to travel anywhere for a prep class that goes over the calculations and such for this exam. My fallback is MN being able to reciprocate with my licenses in SD and NB(able to reciprocate in August 2016) but I need to get this license ASAP. Thanks in advance with your suggestions.

Krist Midbrod

I'm taking the Masters coming up this next week. Any advice or questions you can share that threw you off on your experiance? Thanks!

Sparkbender

If you chose to go after a headache purposely, this is the way to do it.

If you chose to go after a headache purposely, this is the way to do it.

The Minnesota Master's test us difficult. Not difficult in the code sense but in the way it is written, phrased with many double negatives, laid out with qualifying answers of sometimes A-G, and then answered with an answer sheet of A-B circles to fill in that refer to one or all of the the above mentioned A-G answers. They do not always ask a direct question. Calculations and code knowledge are almost secondary to figuring out what the heck they are asking. I used my scratch paper more for keeping track of the qualifying answers than to do actual calculations. I passed the first time around in 2009 while they were using this testing style. Nailing down code and understanding the intent and application is crucial to being able to have a chance of passing it because the rest could be just simply misreading one thing in the question, one thing in the qualifying answers, one thing in the final A-D choices, and did they ask "is or is not?" I was hoping they would throw out that test style and opt for something more traditional. Many people are failing this test not because they know little about the code but simply because of how it was written. I would like to hear how the two of you have been faring on your testing.

chris1971

Hello,

I am trying to locate a seminar or prep class for the Minnesota Class A Master exam. I have 14 Master/contractor licenses but Minnesota seems to be the most difficult. I have taken it twice to far and my results are not even on the edge of passing. Also having to not just choose 1 right answer, but sometimes many, decreases your chances of getting the questions right. I have the Mike Holt complete exam prep package. It has helped with many exams but the calculations on the MN test seem to not directly be covered in Mike holts books and videos. The only prep classes I have been able to find are once a week classes (I am out of State). I would be happy to travel anywhere for a prep class that goes over the calculations and such for this exam. My fallback is MN being able to reciprocate with my licenses in SD and NB(able to reciprocate in August 2016) but I need to get this license ASAP. Thanks in advance with your suggestions.

AFAIK, THE SD or NE master licenses aren't reciprocal with the MN master license. The SD & NE master license's are reciprocal with a MN journeyman electrician license.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
As I recall, in MN if you have ever failed a MN exam for a given license type you are no longer eligible to get that same license by reciprocity from another state-ever. In other words, once you agree to test and fail, the only way to ever get the license is by exam. There are a couple of other states I know of that have this similar requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.