Missed a feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

GerryB

What can help me out here? Lutron pico? I missed a sw box feed. I can use the two wire that is supposed to be the switch leg and neutral for an outdoor flood to feed the switchbox. So the feed would be at the light. Any way to turn it off? Sensor in the light and a remote? Thanks.

JFletcher

What can help me out here? Lutron pico? I missed a sw box feed. I can use the two wire that is supposed to be the switch leg and neutral for an outdoor flood to feed the switchbox. So the feed would be at the light. Any way to turn it off? Sensor in the light and a remote? Thanks.

Any way to tap off a nearby receptacle? Fish a feed from the attic/crawlspace?

GerryB

Can you put a switch box directly behind the fixture, on an inside wall? Doesn't matter if it is high or behind a picture. That could be the switch, then remote the Pico.
That's what I remembered after I posted, I will need one switch that I can put right near the light in the unfinished bonus room. I have to investigate further the possibility of getting a feed another way but right now the Pico (hate to spend the money) is probably the way to go.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
That's what I remembered after I posted, I will need one switch that I can put right near the light in the unfinished bonus room. I have to investigate further the possibility of getting a feed another way but right now the Pico (hate to spend the money) is probably the way to go.
They work well and may be less expensive than spending several hours fishing wires. I would ask the customer if he would accept that solution because eventually a battery will need to be replaced.

J.P.

I'm wondering how you are going to get power to a switchleg that goes between a unpowered switch box and a floodlight?

If you can use the switchleg as a unswitched feed why not use the neutral as a hot to the switch and send the switchleg back on the black? You must be getting into that switch leg somewhere correct? From that junction to the light the white is a neutral again and the black is a switchleg.

I'm probably missing something here....

GerryB

I'm wondering how you are going to get power to a switchleg that goes between a unpowered switch box and a floodlight?

If you can use the switchleg as a unswitched feed why not use the neutral as a hot to the switch and send the switchleg back on the black? You must be getting into that switch leg somewhere correct? From that junction to the light the white is a neutral again and the black is a switchleg.

I'm probably missing something here....
I have a 2-gang box in the mud room that is supposed to be a switch for a coach light and a switch for the floodlight. The romex for the flood is right there in the unfinished room above the garage which I can take out of the flood and feed, now I need to deal with the flood. I can switch it easily enough also from the unfinished room but they want the switch also in the original location. These outside walls have foam insulation.

kenman215

I have a 2-gang box in the mud room that is supposed to be a switch for a coach light and a switch for the floodlight. The romex for the flood is right there in the unfinished room above the garage which I can take out of the flood and feed, now I need to deal with the flood. I can switch it easily enough also from the unfinished room but they want the switch also in the original location. These outside walls have foam insulation.

If the outside walls are open cell spray foam and you have decent clearance in the space above the switch box, you should be able to push some fish sticks down from above and get another wire in the box pretty easily. Even easier might be to fish down to the coach light as presumably it's only a couple feet below the ceiling of the attic space. Send a feed an neutral down to the coach location, drop the neutral at the light box, send the feed to the switch on the white of the coach s/l. You'd also have to run another wire to floodlight, so it would have a neutral as well.

Cheap/easy option, though: dummy switch at the two gang, switch the flood from the bonus space, and just make sure that the fixture itself has motion sensing capabilities. Keep the thing on all the time...

GerryB

If the outside walls are open cell spray foam and you have decent clearance in the space above the switch box, you should be able to push some fish sticks down from above and get another wire in the box pretty easily. Even easier might be to fish down to the coach light as presumably it's only a couple feet below the ceiling of the attic space. Send a feed an neutral down to the coach location, drop the neutral at the light box, send the feed to the switch on the white of the coach s/l. You'd also have to run another wire to floodlight, so it would have a neutral as well.

Cheap/easy option, though: dummy switch at the two gang, switch the flood from the bonus space, and just make sure that the fixture itself has motion sensing capabilities. Keep the thing on all the time...
I didn't think of fishing up because the switch is not below the bonus room but I think it is an open area above it. Will know soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.