Mixing low and line voltages

Status
Not open for further replies.

cleveland

We have an empty 4" conduit running below grade to a location where a pole mounted security camera is desired. The camera needs 120 volt for a heater plus the usual coax or Cat6 cable for the video signal. Could we use MC cable pulled in with the co-ax and be okay? I guess we'd run the MC up inside the pole too to the camera. Is there another wiring method better suited for this type of installation?

Thanks for your time.............

cadpoint

The early parts of Article 300's, 300.3(C) is you inhibitor, which has an Exception and a FPN, if it is a class wiring method. So I guess there?s more considerations, with trying to use both together...

Since you said underground, why MC, why use that? All I could think of was a Wire Harness Manufacturer, or some sort of cable assembly. If you were to use two different conduits, this might also change the requirement placed on the individual circuits.

I frankly skimmed up to through 310.8 which should also be of interest (MO).

I'd get on the phone and talk with a wire rep. and let them meet your needs.
Maybe someone has one shot answer, but I don't think this is the case.

Good Luck...

cleveland

The early parts of Article 300's, 300.3(C) is you inhibitor, which has an Exception and a FPN, if it is a class wiring method. So I guess there?s more considerations, with trying to use both together...

Since you said underground, why MC, why use that? All I could think of was a Wire Harness Manufacturer, or some sort of cable assembly. If you were to use two different conduits, this might also change the requirement placed on the individual circuits.

I frankly skimmed up to through 310.8 which should also be of interest (MO).

I went to MC because in Uses Permitted it can be installed in a raceway 330.10 (7) and it can be used in a wet location with appropriate covering 330.10(11.a). I'm trying to get everything in that 4" conduit running below grade. Thanks.

cleveland

Hmmmmm........ maybe I'm making this a bigger deal than it is. If I pulled in 600 volt UF cable for the wet rating to serve the 120 volt heater along with a wet rated co-ax cable rated 300 volts we'd meet 300.3(C) ............

Status
Not open for further replies.