MN, AFCI & Adding an Outlet on Existing Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
The Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry, which includes under its umbrella, Electrical Licensing and Inspection, publishes a quarterly newsletter titled the CCLD Review.
Its purpose is to inform construction and code professionals about the purpose, plans and progress of the Construction Codes and Licensing Division.
The issue just released (Summer 2009 edition) has an electrical Q & A that I found notable. This answer is coming from the AHJ for most jurisdictions in the State of Minnesota, and is a departure from "before".
Q: When a new outlet (i.e. point on the wiring system at which current is taken to supply equipment) for a receptacle, smoke detector or gas fireplace is extended from an existing branch circuit in a dwelling, is arc-fault circuit-interrupter (AFCI) protection required for the entire branch circuit, per NEC 210.12? What if an AFCI device was not available for the existing electrical panel?

A: No. The National Electrical Code (NEC) applies to NEW installations. Existing electrical installations that do not comply with the provisions of the current code shall be permitted to be continued in use unless the authority having jurisdiction (AHJ) determines that the lack of conformity presents an imminent danger. See Annex H (Administration and Enforcement) in the NEC for more information about existing installations and additions, alterations, and repairs. Annex H is not part of the requirements of the NEC. Annex H is a model set of rules that could be adopted by a jurisdiction for the administration of an electrical inspection program. It?s meant to be informational only.

The 2010 National Electrical Code Committee Report on Proposals (ROP) is available online.

The 2010 ROP contains the proposed amendments for the 2011 National Electrical Code. Several proposals for the 2011 NEC dealt with AFCI protection and existing branch circuits. Code-Making Panel No. 2, in its panel statements, have consistently stated that ?The decision on applying the new construction AFCI requirements to a circuit modification is that of the authority having jurisdiction.?

iwire

Staff member
So wiring I install today is already existing?

I think they could have put it a better way, IMO they opened a very large door.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
So wiring I install today is already existing?

I think they could have put it a better way, IMO they opened a very large door.
Isn't that something?

Don't get me wrong, I won't miss the difficulties presented by having to introduce AFCI protection to existing circuits. . . .

But, as I read this, broadly, the requirements for any modification to an existing circuit, or extensions there of, are entirely and only in the pervue of the AHJ, that the body of the NEC is only a guideline.

Even when I install a new paddlefan on a new lighting outlet that is extended off an existing bed circuit, that new installation does not require an AFCI. (Takes away the impetus for the "Big Oops, Need Suggestions" 750 post thread. . . )

JWCELECTRIC

Has any manufacturer come up with a AFCI receptacle that works?. IMO if you were adding to the existing branch circuit, install the new AFCI receptacle to replace the existing receptacle you are tapping from. Any new outlets would be protected (ie. lights, recp., fans, etc.) under the current 2008 NEC requierments.

- JWC

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Has any manufacturer come up with a AFCI receptacle that works?. IMO if you were adding to the existing branch circuit, install the new AFCI receptacle to replace the existing receptacle you are tapping from. Any new outlets would be protected (ie. lights, recp., fans, etc.) under the current 2008 NEC requierments.

- JWC
The receptacle combination AFCI doesn't exist anywhere except, perhaps, in the depths of a manufacturing research & development department.

If I were to use a receptacle type AFCI wouldn't I be required to have a "metal" homerun from it to the branch circuit overcurrent protective device? That'd make a lot more work than tacking onto the end of an existing branch circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.