MOBILE HOME SERVICE

Status
Not open for further replies.

lssbug

please forgive me its been awhile since i did any of this.My question is this i have a mobile home in a court thats has been updated to a 200 amp serviceit has a outside main panel and the 200 amp panel inside the home originally they ran the 200 amp SE cable to power the inside box.But i know it must be a 4 wire feeder my question is this after running a fourth insulated wire can i use that as the insulated neutral and use the bare aluminum wire from the SE as the grounding conductor or am i permitted to just use the SE as it is and use the fourth conductor as the ground?

hurk27

Re: MOBILE HOME SERVICE

No as 550.33 requires that all four conductors have to be insulated. even the grounding conductor.

550.33 Feeder.
(A) Feeder Conductors. Feeder conductors shall consist of either a listed cord, factory installed in accordance with 550.10(B), or a permanently installed feeder consisting of four, insulated , color-coded conductors that shall be identified by the factory or field marking of the conductors in compliance with 310.12. Equipment grounding conductors shall not be identified by stripping the insulation.

russ

Good Call Wayne, with the main outside I now see it's required to have the proper four wire cord.

Thanks, Russ

hurk27

Russ I should of gave a little insite to why they want an insulated ground to a trailer from the last means of disconect.

Think of a trailer park where the park provides the electricity for the trailers they will set a distrobution transformer at the end of a row of trailers this could be as many as 20 in a row then they run the fedders down behind them and make taps off to a disconect at each one with a triplex, from this disconect they use to run into the trailer with a triplex and a bare ground. what would happen is with the long runs there would be voltage present on the grounding this voltage would electrolis off the ground and the trailer would be left without a ground to fault to. the voltage can be as low as 2 or 4 volts and this ground would still burn off. This is why they changed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.