MOCP 125% of MCA for HVAC Equipment??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobuTupaki

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Curious how the manufacturer came to these values, but I am trying to work out the calculations and verify. Below is for an AC system
1654716010962.png
Below is for a rooftop unit:
1654716153343.png

I am curious as I usually use the horsepower of the unit/motor to find the FLC, from there I calculate MCA = 1.25*FLC, and then size the breaker at FLC*2.25. However, none of the mechanical units I am dealing with reflect those calculations.

I am fine using the manufacturer's recommendations, but I usually crosscheck to make sure everything looks right.

paulengr

Curious how the manufacturer came to these values, but I am trying to work out the calculations and verify. Below is for an AC system
View attachment 2560916
Below is for a rooftop unit:
View attachment 2560917

I am curious as I usually use the horsepower of the unit/motor to find the FLC, from there I calculate MCA = 1.25*FLC, and then size the breaker at FLC*2.25. However, none of the mechanical units I am dealing with reflect those calculations.

I am fine using the manufacturer's recommendations, but I usually crosscheck to make sure everything looks right.

Compressors often require a lot of starting torque. So you will see goofy things like say a 100 HP compressor with a 150 HP motor or a “100 HP” motor but with a crazy nonstandard service factor like “1.40”. The latter is just so that end users see a “100 HP compressor”. Plus they have the actual known LRC.

So trying to predict name plate information on a compressor using article 430 is not going to work.

RWC/NC.

Occupation
Electrical
Article 440.
440.22(A) Rating and setting of Individual Motor-Compressor.
A rating or setting, not to exceed 175 percent (it can be less than 175%)
* if not sufficient for the starting current of the motor, the rating or setting shall be permitted to be increased but shall not not exceed 225% of the motor rated load current or branch-circuit selection current, which ever is greater.

Status
Not open for further replies.