Modernization for a 10-30 dryer outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holdyourthrow

New User
Occupation
Physician
Hey guys. New to the forum here. I am a homeowner with day job in healthcare but really wish I’ve gone into the trades instead! It maybe too late for me but I still tinker on my own home which is allowd on my AHJ.

So here’s the situation.

I have an old 10-30 dryer outlet. It’s wired to the main panel directly by a 10/2 romex. Home is built in 1992 and passed inspection then.

I’ve recently put in a critical access subpanel with battery input for time shifting of TOU loads and since my wife refuse to do laundry during non-peak time I am looking at moving the dryer outlet to this critical subpanel.

The battery is capable of 30A 240v so I am not worried there. The pro who put this sub panel in moved many circuits by moving the hot and neutral together, leaving the ground on the main panel. The new sub is just on the other side of the main with approximately 2 feet of wire run.

I’ve been educated by electrician elsewhere that 10-30 is an obsolete standard.

So my question is, is it possible for me to move this circuit on the critical access subpanel in a code compilant way? This is what I am thinking

1. Switch the 10-30 to a 6-30 which I understand is a modern and acceptable standard still.

2. Splice the black and white wire of the original 10/2 with two 10 awg thwn, move through the existing conduit (very large conduit, no fill issues), and land both hot onto a 30 amp breaker in the subpanel. Since there is no neutral, i will not need to move anything else.

Do I have this plan out appropriately or am i gonna blow someone up?

Sorry if this is an inappropriate question. I searched quite a bit already and cannot find answer pertaining to 6-30.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This site is designed for:
  • Electrical Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
This NEC® Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.

Knowledge and the practical application of the National Electrical Code is an essential part of all electrical installations. If it's important for you to understand the National Electrical Code, then look no further.

To better help us serve you, please be sure to update your account details with your occupation field and location if you have not done so already. You can access your account details by clicking on your account name at the top right of the page when on the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.