Modular wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys,
Looking into using a modular wiring system for a hi-rise, has anyone had any experience with this, advantages, any problems?
In that same area, does anyone know the rules that apply to using stranded wire to connect devices, i.e.: receptacles and switches?
And what's your experience with the "Wagos" connectors?

ITO

/subscribes to thread?

I have always been leery of the modular wiring sales guys who need and excel spreadsheet to show you how much money your are going to save on labor to make up for the added expense of their product.

I would love to hear from some contractors that have had success or even failures with these types of systems.

kkwong

egurdian2 said:
And what's your experience with the "Wagos" connectors?

I can't speak for modular wiring, never used it though a buddy thinks it the greatest since instant coffee...

As far as the Wagos go; I think there was a post or several on this topic (I think I started one come to think of it...). IMO they are a little dicer than other connectors just because I've had people who have not known how to install them and not tell me. (really, how hard is it to push the dern thing on to the conductor?)

I would look at them like this, they are just as good as regular wing nuts as long as the people know how to install them. I do like them for the ease of install in remodel applications or for extending wires. :)

Brown Dog

I can not comment on using a modular wiring system on the front end, but I do know they are sometimes difficult to re configure during a remodel or renovation.

As to the Wago, I have used the rail mount terminals and the " wire nut " alternatives ( sorry, I forget what they are called - small clear/translucent colored connectors ) with no problems. The multi wire connectors I have used in bank construction and remodels, and reduce hand fatigue and loose connection problems.

mdshunk

I sat through the dog and pony show from the ReLoc guy years back. It seemed to me that you'd only save money if you had really expensive labor. The PlugTails thing P&S has out right now is certainly a new twist on the modular idea, but they're still a little salty too.

quogueelectric

really expensive labor

really expensive labor

I have installed many reloc type systems and when understood and laid out properly for installation you can really bang them out. Most are shown on a cad drawing make sure you follow this drawing the computer is much better than humans at counting. The computer count is what is used to generate the material list. Do not let some idiot who will use the wrong piece where annother piece will go as you will be looking for it at the end of the job. Do not let hacks try to cut thier own system together out of whips that were in the wrong place. Every piece has a place and the fastest cheapest way to do it is to put it there. Hint one lead guy laying out the whips and a dozen shop guys doing the no brain plug and run you will make lots of money. put a monkey boy in charge and you will hear every excuse why the system is no good and watch your profit evaporate.

quogueelectric

btw tax purposes

btw tax purposes

By the way most of the big companys who use this system are doing so for a tax writoff as modular wiring is not permanent and is depreciated somewhat as office furniture. These big corporations are not doing this out of the goodness of thier hearts but trying to beat the system at its own game. If someone is interested I can tell you all of the things to watch out for durring installation and startup but the morning is quickly upon me

john_axelson

Pre-fab

Pre-fab

I have used the modular systems for both lighting and devices. Biggest item on the branch devices is that you need to make sure that the box needs to come with a stronger bracket than what most "maufacturer's" want to put on there. You have to realize that if you are doing it with devices already installed that the "ears" are typically snipped off of the outlet. Therefore the "device" doesn't grab the outside edge of the sheet rock. If you use the wrong bracket your devices will just "wiggle" with the box when someone goes to plug something in or turn the switch on or off. Yes the plate does still attach to the device, but that doesn't feel as "solid" as if the device ears are attaching to the outside edge of the rock.

Make sure you do a "great" layout. Not just an average or good layout. Have the manufacturer ship by room with the room numbers stamped on the outside of each box needed for that room - each box for that room should come with a drawing that indicates where those parts go. The time spent up front should come back to you three fold. The larger project that I used them on (estimated 4,500 hours for branch wiring and devicing) saved us about 25% of the labor (Came in at 3,300 hours). I know, some factor of error can be here because of the time keeping used, but the point is it saved our company about $70,000 in labor for an extra $8,500 in material.

Wago's, I have had mixed reactions to. Still a bit on the fence with these. I have had one foreman absolutely think they were the best ever and then the service guy who went to the job 3 years later, says he hates them and there were a "bunch" of "loose" connections. This foreman used them for everything, devices, j-boxes, feeds to lighting, etc. I would be okay with them in a device box.

wamegojim

Modular wiring and Wagos

Modular wiring and Wagos

A contractor I used to work at in California swore by Wagos. Personally, I have never used them. They used them in both residential and commercial applications. When I moved to California, this was only a year ago, they were a foreign item to me.

Modular wiring systems are a whole different thing. I have used them on projects all over the country but only for lighting or to power poles. I think it was an Office Depot had it specified as did a Lowes. It is a much faster system than pipe and wire. Again make sure you follow the layout or you run into trouble.

Using it for branch sounds like a neat idea and one I will investigate. If it saves time and cost then it means a more competitive bid.

Status
Not open for further replies.