Money maker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Does anyones insurance ever NOT permit you to use their ladder?

I've had some where I'm pretty sure that "my" insurance would rather I didn't use their ladder.

and like Bob said, I'm not just anybody, I'm somebody.;)

I can never remember if it's in the CA State Contractors Law or if it's in the Uniform Administrative Code, that the contractor is responsible to provide access to and whatever is necessary to perform the inspection. I'll see if I can track it down.

OK I found it. It's in the UAC 305.3 Inspection requests. It shall be the duty of the person requesting any inspections required either by this code or the technical codes to provide access to and means for inspection of the work.

Now just for kicks 305.1 General. Neither the building official nor this jurisdiction shall be liable for expense entailed in the removal or replacement of any material required to allow inspection.

Last edited:
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
How many are not in your household?

There is an incorporated village called Monowi between Niobrara and Verdel - population one. Used to be two before the husband passed away. There are very few others in the nation that actually have only one or even two that actually are an incorporated village, don't remember the statistics anymore.

I meant I have 8 towns in the area with population of 2500 plus, not 8 people. Think Tri-City area of Kearney, Hastings, Grand Island. City being a relative term of course.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
We have cell phones, but we don't give the numbers out, to tell you the truth I don't even know my work cell phone number. It's for inspector to inspector or office to inspector. Our time is your time when we are on your site, I'm pretty sure that you don't want me talking to some other contractor when I'm supposed to be doing your inspection and I'm pretty sure he feels the same way. We also are considered first responders during an emergency, so we are supposed to have our phones on 24 hours, we don't have to carry them all the time, but they do want to be able to get hold of us within a resonable amount of time. If contractors knew that they would be calling at all hours and on my days off. It's hard enough for me to go out and not have to answer code questions all the time, with out guys being able to get hold of me 24/7.

I don't know, I've gotten a couple of inspectors phone numbers. I don't know if they give it out to everyone or just a select few. I don't see the big deal if you give it out to the contractors you're comfortable with. It'd benefit everybody, I'd think. Sometimes I don't get a call back for a few hours or till the end of the day, but at least I can get my questions answered directly without relaying everything through their secretary.

kwired

Electron manager
I don't know, I've gotten a couple of inspectors phone numbers. I don't know if they give it out to everyone or just a select few. I don't see the big deal if you give it out to the contractors you're comfortable with. It'd benefit everybody, I'd think. Sometimes I don't get a call back for a few hours or till the end of the day, but at least I can get my questions answered directly without relaying everything through their secretary.

Here the <added>Inspectors cell numbers are posted on their website, on publications, on your permits, etc. If you actually want to talk to them it is necessary. They are in office only 1/2 day per week mostly for the purpose of answering calls. Try to call during that time and you will get busy signal 9 out of 10 times as they are on the phone. By the time you remember to try again they are no longer in the office.

I don't think their cell number is also their personal phone, I know if I were one of them it would not be. I would either turn it off when no longer working or if required to take emergency calls from a specific source would not answer any calls unless from that source, and would use my own private phone for personal and off duty calls.

Last edited:
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
The few I deal with most often will return a call during work hours when I leave a message or even see they had a missed call. I also do not call them just to say hello. Well maybe, if I see them leaving town as I am getting there. They also don't call me at night or on weekends or holidays. The arrangement works well.

kwired

Electron manager
Thats just it, they are on a fairly strict budget, won't say they will not get overtime if it is due to them, but they are not authorized to work overtime in general. If I were in their shoes that means no more work related phone calls when off the clock, and all of the ones I know seem to take this approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.